Hey everyone! Well, I've just been called by a ladies clothing store, Suzy Shier, and they'd like me to go for an interview tomorrow since I applied there for a part-time job. Thing is, I've never been for an interview in my entire life, and I'm pretty nervous since it's going to be done in my second language, french. What are some typical questions that they ask during an interview, besides the usual questions about experience and education, so I can try to prepare myself?

Thanks in advance!

~Tink

Hey Tinkerbell,

In the Days Before the Interview

Draw a line down the center of a piece of paper. On the left side, make a bulleted list of what the employer is looking for based on the job posting. On the right side, make a bulleted list of the qualities you possess that fit those requirements.

Research the company, the industry and the competition.

Prepare your 60-second personal statement: Your answer to the, "Tell me about yourself," question.

Write at least five success stories to answer behavioral interview questions ("Tell me about a time when…" or "Give me an example of a time…").

List 10 questions to ask the interviewer about the job, the company and the industry.

Research salary data and determine your worth.

Determine your salary needs based on your living expenses -- what is your bottom line?

Get permission from your references to use their names.

Before You Go to the Interview

Do you look professional? Check yourself in the mirror; part of your confidence will come from looking good.

Carry these items to the interview:

Several copies of your resume on quality paper.

A copy of your references.

A pad of paper on which to take notes (notes are optional).

Directions to the interview site.

Prepare answers to the 10 most common interview questions:

Tell me about yourself.

Why did you leave or are you leaving your last position?

What do you know about this company?

What are your goals?

What are your strengths and weaknesses?

Why do you want to work for this company?

What has been your most significant achievement?

How would your last boss and colleagues describe you?

Why should we hire you?

What are your salary expectations?

Upon Arrival

Arrive early -- enter the building 10 minutes before your appointment.

Review your prepared stories and answers.

Go to the restroom and check your appearance one last time.

Announce yourself to the receptionist in a professional manner.

Stand and greet your interviewer with a hearty -- not bone-crushing -- handshake.

Smile and look into the interviewer's eyes.

During the Interview

Try to focus on the points you have prepared without sounding rehearsed or stiff.

Relax and enjoy the conversation. Learn what you can about the company.

Ask questions and listen; read between the lines.

At the conclusion, thank the interviewer and determine the next steps.

Ask for the interviewer's business card so you can send a follow-up letter.

After the Interview

As soon as possible, write down what you are thinking and feeling.

Later in the day, look at what you wrote and assess how you did.

Write a follow-up thank-you letter, reminding the interviewer of your qualities.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!!!

Let us know how you did...

Woobiegirl

Mot important aspect of any interview is within the first 5 minutes.

The way you shake their hand (FIRM), the way you sit in the chair (UP STRAIGHT) look them in the eyes (very important), stand up straight.

Act professional, think professional, and you will land this job.

Brush up on the company, dont worry so much about memorizing answers to predetermined questions, you do not want to sound like a robot.

Be yourself, understand what the position offers, then come back and tell us how you aced the interview.

GOod luck.

Great additions You're going to sound like a professional!! Sebulous, I liked "what can you do for the co."

When I'm filling a position a big %of what I look for in a person is enthusiasm and excitement for the job, to be flexible and eager to learn new things. You'd be surprised how many people go on interviews and don't know what your company does, didn't reasearch the business and couldn't tell you WHY they want the job, let alone remember what the requirements were...in other words they just wanted any job, ...and they're wondering why they don't get hired?

Now for the really, really most important thing to remember is...this is your 1st interview, that's exciting so put on your biggest smile, have fun and look at it as a new adventure, one of many.

Go get it girl...

Woobiegirl

Hey woobie girl,

Prepare answers to the 10 most common interview questions:

Tell me about yourself.

Why did you leave or are you leaving your last position?

What do you know about this company?

What are your goals?

What are your strengths and weaknesses?

Why do you want to work for this company?

What has been your most significant achievement?

How would your last boss and colleagues describe you?

Why should we hire you?

What are your salary expectations?

Upon Arrival

how brief should the answers to these questions be when the interviewer asks them?

Great additions You're going to sound like a professional!! Sebulous, I liked "what can you do for the co."

When I'm filling a position a big %of what I look for in a person is enthusiasm and excitement for the job, to be flexible and eager to learn new things. You'd be surprised how many people go on interviews and don't know what your company does, didn't reasearch the business and couldn't tell you WHY they want the job, let alone remember what the requirements were...in other words they just wanted any job, ...and they're wondering why they don't get hired?

Now for the really, really most important thing to remember is...this is your 1st interview, that's exciting so put on your biggest smile, have fun and look at it as a new adventure, one of many.

Go get it girl...

Woobiegirl

You'd be surprised how many people go on interviews and don't know what your company does, didn't reasearch the business and couldn't tell you WHY they want the job, let alone remember what the requirements were...in other words they just wanted any job, ...and they're wondering why they don't get hired?

Yeah what do you say to that question of what can you do for the company?

So for real you hit on the nail and now I know what to say and do for the next set of interviews.

I saw what I was doing wrong

Hi Fantasia,

Try this site...it has some really great points for job hunting.

link removed;jsessionid=ANR8PwDxVBQiO4Jws7nJdDzaTeraOH1FUHpIbo2GBjCENXD1CI2d!-78187132!137992128

When I was career hunting I went to a bookstore and browsed the "career help" section. I picked up a life-saver book called "100 of the hardest interview questions" Reading this book really helped, and each company I interviwed with asked questions related to what was in this book. I read the book and mentally prepared answers, which truly made a diference as some of these questions can catch you off guard.

Here's another site that might help, it also gives great response suggestions to those tricky questions. The research pays off and you'll find the more interviews you go on the more comfortable you will bcome. Be sure to always take a pad for notes & always ask at least a couple of questions about the job your applying for. I do quite a bit of hiring at my company and don't believe the deciding factor is just about the knowedge of the position, but also the drive and initiative you show during the interview. If the person you're looking to hire has that "energy & spark", you can always provide training for the job.

link removed

Good luck and let me know if you have any othe questions. Your resume is also an important factor (short & to the point) along with a strong cover letter.

Woobiegirl...