earning a degree while active duty Army

I'm joining the US Army as an E-3 thanks to 50 college credits. I was wondering if anyone knew about how long it would take to earn a BS or BA while on active duty. I do realize that my chances of being deployed are 98% and that an education would be impossible until I got back to a duty station.

Generally if you have 50 credits you are almost halfway done. Most BA or BS degrees are around 120 credits. However it does depend on what kind of degree you want and if the classes you have already taken fit into the degree plan you choose.

Many soldiers on active duty are working on a degree at the same time. How do I know this? I work for an online university and active duty military make up about 2/3 of our students. If you take on-line classes is is possible to continue them through deployment (depending on your MOS of course). So in my experience if you needed 60-70 credits to get a degree that's about 23 (3 credit hour) classes. Most people take 2-3 classes at a time. If you went that route at a college like the one I work for which has 8 week courses that means you could complete your BA/BS degree in less than 2 years. Also many schools will give you credits for some of the stuff on your ARTS transcripts.

Archived