At some periods of my life I have the habit to frequently wash my hands. As a way to stay in control

Like the title says. And any advice is welcome. It's not about what most people seem to think that it's because of fear of things not being completely free of bacteria but more b/c I don't see very bright. So that's why this habit sometimes returns at moment's I'm tired and stressed. It's more about the choking fear, again.

I think your title is very insightful and pretty much says it all. It is a control thing, not a clean thing. If you truly are ready to stop doing this, then go see a professional therapist who can help you redirect your fears in those moments. I wish you well.

I think your title is very insightful and pretty much says it all. It is a control thing, not a clean thing. If you truly are ready to stop doing this, then go see a professional therapist who can help you redirect your fears in those moments. I wish you well.

I want to have my hands clean of things like pieces of plastic.

It happens when I find out I can't really trust my eyes and/or feel too tired (c.f.s.) to pay attention to what I 'm doing.

It sounds like you have minimal OCD traits, likewise with me, I have a habit of excessively cleaning my face and hands and the cause of it, I don't know but as your saying that it makes you feel in control. I can understand that.

Yeah but if I don't find water I try to find other things like moving with my hands through my hair ( to put it in model) so that I feel more sure there can't be anything on it anymore, even if I won't notice it with my eyes.

It sounds like you have minimal OCD traits, likewise with me, I have a habit of excessively cleaning my face and hands and the cause of it, I don't know but as your saying that it makes you feel in control. I can understand that.

What do you do if there's no water.. Or if it's thundering. Or if you have to pay to use a toilet.

Belgian girl....Do you use those small bottles of hand sanitizer?

To answer in short: No.

What reason should I have to do that (?) It's not about wanting to smell fresh or perfumed nor that I have an habit like cleaning a complete house or putting new bookcovers on books before putting them in bookcases. I don't mind having a bit of dirt on my clothes while I'm busy doing something neither. I often wait 'too' long washing my hair. It's more about not feeling realistic/alive and nor feeling sure about that I can trust my eyes.

And also, I've heard there's a reason those products aren't good for someone 's health in case it's used longterm. Or maybe at least some of them. I think it was about being bad if it gots eaten ( in small amounts each time of course b/c there won't be much left on the hands while eating). I think it increases the chance of getting cancer.

Exactly the same thing, I look in the mirror and try clean/perfect something else, likewise with what you mentioned about your hair.

It sounds like you have self control issues and you assert the power of control into doing abnormal things like the cleaning and the hair thing as it makes you feel in control. Am I right?

Archived