Young Miserable Failure

I am a 17 year old high school student with a 2.8 GPA and a 21 on my ACT. Is there any chance of me going to college???? I also have some D's in my core classes, and quite frankly, I feel really depressed about the whole thing. I know I could have done better. I'm even skipping prom soley because of this.

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but maybe there are some junior college classes that you can take until you have a chance to transfer to a university. The qualifications to transfer are normally a little different than those to enter into the university as a freshman.

You shouldn't let your grades hold you back from the prom...don't worry so much. Be happy!! 8) You are 17!! The world is at your command.

Get a part time job and go to college part time. The choice is yours!!

I am a 17 year old high school student with a 2.8 GPA and a 21 on my ACT. Is there any chance of me going to college???? I also have some D's in my core classes, and quite frankly, I feel really depressed about the whole thing. I know I could have done better. I'm even skipping prom soley because of this.

I would say stay optimistic and turn a stumbling block into a stepping stone. There's always a way to get your goals, even when it seems the direct route is not available. There are tons of community colleges around where you can raise your GPA quickly and then transfer to another school demonstrating to them that you are a serious student. So don't beat yourself up about the things you can't control at this point (e.g., your HS grades) and focus more on how you can now use that experience to help you move on the next level. May take alittle longer, but if college is what you really want/desire then its not a question of whether you will get in--you will, but instead when you'll get in.

Also, when applying to college there are other ways to help bolster your application aside to grades. Try to play up your community service, extra-curricular activities, and those non-cognitive factors that could make all the difference in an admission decision.

One big difference between college and high school is that in college you can concentrate more on the subjects themselves. You will still have some of those classes that are required to graduate that may not be of so much interest to you, but the core classes that you'll be focusing on will be the one's in your major field of interest.

Another thing in college if you sense that you are overloaded with material and are having trouble completing everything, you can file pass/no pass, and if you fail, then the units won't count, the grade will not count too if you get an A or B too, so be careful of that trap.

You could call some of your second and third choice schools. They may still be accepting applicants. You never know until you try it!!

The college I was "settling" for requires a 23 ACT and at least a 3.0 GPA. (Thats also the lowest requirement I have been able to find within my state apart from Grambling which is no option.) I was going through a hard time my sophmore year and I didn't put in the effort, and yes I know, thats no exuse. I also do not feel cut out for any career in the military. I haven't done anything extra in school (sports...clubs..etc) I haven't done anything! I feel really bothered by all this. Has anyone else done worse and still gotten accepted into a college?

Hello Pherb,

I'm 28. I'm a sales engineer in a multi-national company. I'm one of the youngest people in my position, and I feel very well respected by my peers. My clients in all countries speak very highly of me to my peers. I feel successful and I believe my peers consider me a success.

Now, lets talk about high school AND college. High school bored me to tears. I spent most of my time high, drunk and ditching class. I almost didn't pass my senior year because of my attendence. My GPA was something like a 2.8 too. Then I went to college. I went to 3 actually before I got my bachelors. A 4-year college, then a junior college, then a different 4-year college before I found what I wanted and was good at. I took every math class 2x and I was a computer major. However, I worked full time and went to school full time so by the time I graduated (with a 2.5) my fellow students and professors were handing me their resumes to put in a good word for them!

So, my point is that this: High School is such a speed bump on the road through life. What is VERY obvious to me is that you are motivated in the sense you have goals and dreams. You can and will achieve them. BUT first you just have to find what works for you and focus on what you want your life to be.

For me, in high school, all my friends were 3.5, 4.0's. My close friend was the validictorian and a doctor's daughter. She spent her summer's in France. I thought I was a failure compared to her and my other friends. In the end, I consider myself more sucessful because of my tenacity. They may or may not agree, but they can't dispute that I am someone they look to for professional inspiration.

In short, GO TO PROM. Enjoy yourself. Enjoy high school. Don't sweat some GPA. You will be exactly what you want to be in life despite this.

I wish you all the best!

The college I was "settling" for requires a 23 ACT and at least a 3.0 GPA. (Thats also the lowest requirement I have been able to find within my state apart from Grambling which is no option.) I was going through a hard time my sophmore year and I didn't put in the effort, and yes I know, thats no exuse. I also do not feel cut out for any career in the military. I haven't done anything extra in school (sports...clubs..etc) I haven't done anything! I feel really bothered by all this. Has anyone else done worse and still gotten accepted into a college?

Again, I'd agree AnotherChick and say stop focusing on what you can not change and begin to focus on what you can change. I'd make a list of 'sure bet' schools (for you perhaps that is the community college route, a list of 'middle of the road schools' and a list of 'long shots' and apply to all. Remember even these people with 3.8's or greater can't go to every school they apply to, they can only go to one. And others can't pay their bill or run into trouble so spots miraculously open up. But if you keep remaining pessimistic, then you won't see the opportunity in difficulty, but instead will focus on the difficulty in opportunity. Just look at famous people like Benjamin Carson (surgeon at John's Hopkins) who got C's and D's in High School, and now is world reknown at his craft because he kept a vision and made it happen. Stop getting caught up in the numbers game and work on those other things that may help you that don't include grades (besides community service that you admitted you lack above). What about really working hard on your personal statement? Talk about your struggles and have others read it for you and touch it up. Then go to these campuses that your mentioning and let these people see your face and get to know you. Its much harder to deny someone you know than it is to deny a person that only exists on paper to you. Trust me, you can do it, but only if you believe in yourself.

Did you try talking to a high school counselor? Sometimes they can help you find the right kind of college.

link removed

Try this link -- it may give you some more choices for schools in your area. Keep the dream alive within you. I was the only child among six kids to achieve a BA. I taught high school Enlgish for 11 years and now I am going back to receive a master's degree in Psychology. Do you think that my family encouraged me to do any of this? Just the opposite.

You make your own plans and you create your own dreams in this world, don't let anyone or anything stop you from getting the education that you dream of having or the perfect career opportunity for you.

Go for IT, whatever it means to you!!