Songs stuck in your head?

berzerk

Hahahahahaha!!

There is actually a word for this!!

EARWORM !!

From Wikipedia:

"Earworm, a loan translation of the German Ohrwurm, is a term for a portion of a song or other musical material that repeats compulsively within one's mind, known colloquially as "music being stuck in one's head". Use of the English translation was popularized by James Kellaris and Daniel Levitin. Kellaris' studies demonstrated that different people have varying susceptibilities to earworms, but that almost everybody has been afflicted with one at some time or another. The psychoanalyst Theodor Reik used the term haunting melody to describe the psychodynamic features of the phenomenon. Another scientific term for the phenomenon, involuntary musical imagery, or INMI, was suggested by the neurologist Oliver Sacks in 2007.

Wanted Words, a feature on CBC Radio One's This Morning hosted by Jane Farrow, also once asked listeners to invent a word for this phenomenon. Submitted entries included "aneurhythm" and "humbug".

People with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) are more likely to report being troubled by ear worms - in some cases medications for OCD can minimize the effects.

Earworms should not be confused with endomusia, which is a serious affliction in which someone actually hears music that is not playing externally. Earworm may also refer to the Helicoverpa zea (corn earworm) or the musician DJ Earworm."

I had Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day in my head for a couple of months last year.

In eighth grade, there were several songs that our choir sang that I got stuck in my head for probably near three or four months. I literally had accepted the fact that they would always be stuck in my head for the rest of my life. They were awful songs, too... that was a hard time!

It's not a big deal. It's annoying, but no matter what the song, it'll go away eventually. Two or three days is nothing.

Archived