Conversations with a friend

This might not be in the right forum but here goes......

I have this friend that i sometimes find it hard to talk to. We would be with each other and he would ask me something or say something and I would give an answer which does not leave anywhere for the conversation to go.

Like today i was driving him home and he asked me what were my plans for the long weekend we have coming up, i just said im not sure probably nothing, I could have asked him what he planned to do and maybe the conversation would have flowed from there but I didnt, he then told me he had practice tonight and I only said I know, i could have asked him how the game he had last night went and how many days a week he has practice but again I didnt. I only thought of these things when I had dropped him off and was on my way home.

What is wrong with me? Why cant I sustain a decent conversation with this guy? It is like this all the time and I seriously want to change it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Are you like this with only this particular friend, or with most people in general? If it's only with this person, why do you think that is?

Next time ask him questions to follow up on the things he mentions like you said you could have done in the situation you described on the post. Bring up common interests you both have. Talk about a news or something you recently heard. Ask his opinion on things. Talk about an upcoming movie.

Sometimes you may simply not be in the mood to carry on conversations and silence is not a bad thing but if it's making you uncomfortable and happens everytime and only with this friend, maybe because you are overthinking about his reactions to what you say.

Anyways I hope this helps, good luck and take care

well it happened again today on the drive home i told him something about a situation at work today and he just nodded after that I just stopped trying to come up with anything and just stayed silent.

I dont know why this only happens with him, maybe I am afraid of what his reaction would be to what i have to say.

Archived