pass/fail option

I've had a class or two like this. The emphasis was pretty much don't try your hardest to get the best possible grade in the class just try hard enough to pass. I don't know what happens if you fail since they are not credited (at least not in my case).

I've had a class or two like this. The emphasis was pretty much don't try your hardest to get the best possible grade in the class just try hard enough to pass. I don't know what happens if you fail since they are not credited (at least not in my case).

Seriously? Just passing is setting the bar a little low don't you think?

I don't think there would be negative consequences but from what I understand you can only take courses as pass/fail if the course is not required for your degree. But I haven't been in school for a while now, I'd just ask the school.

Some aspects of the course I am studying only have a pass/fail grade. I think the point of these classes is not that you reach a certain level of understanding, but you instead contribute and have a go. The subjects in my course that are only pass/fail are complimented by other classes that are graded.

I can't really see how there'd be any negative consequences, but all schools/institutions work differently so it's probably best to contact your school or the person in charge of the class to clear up how it all works

Seriously? Just passing is setting the bar a little low don't you think?

Yea. Look at it this way. Lets say the pass for a pass/fail course is 50%. 50% = Pass, 60% = Pass...90%=Pass. Whats the point on trying super hard and putting all this effort into a class where it doesn't matter what mark you get as long as you get a mark that is 50%+. Where you could use the time and energy to put more effort into a class where you will get that 90% (which will most likely be reflected in a grade mark) and you won't get a messly pass.

Yea. Look at it this way. Lets say the pass for a pass/fail course is 50%. 50% = Pass, 60% = Pass...90%=Pass. Whats the point on trying super hard and putting all this effort into a class where it doesn't matter what mark you get as long as you get a mark that is 50%+. Where you could use the time and energy to put more effort into a class where you will get that 90% (which will most likely be reflected in a grade mark) and you won't get a messly pass.

I hear you, sure, put more effort into courses that can show the results. But it sounded like you were aiming for the 50%, when you should be aiming for the 100% and seeing what happens. So what if your effort isn't reflected in a grade, it's reflected in your understanding of the material. It's not wasted effort.

I've been around long enough to know that if you put in minimal effort your going to get minimal results, in courses as in life.

My entire grad school is pass/fail. But wait! Instead of just getting a pass or fail, you get a narrative transcript where they list all your good points, all of your strengths, and all of your failings. This transcript is then sent to any future employer should they ask for it. Some people would much rather have letter grades, believe me.

Archived