Semi-formal..AAAHHH

Why not go with a bunch of friends instead? I don't know why you're so intent on going with a date, perhaps you're frightened of being viewed as a "loner"? Whatever the case, it's better to go to the semi-formal alone rather than with some guy you don't really know, don't have feelings for, etc.. That's a recipe for disaster.

Who is available that you might want to go with? Go up to him, say hi and make eye contact. (Pick a guy who is someone who might ask, instead of being too timid.) Look into his eye for a second, say hi, smile, look down, walk away, loof back once and smile again. Repeat until you notice he is trying to make eye contact with you. Don't do it more than once a day. When he is trying to initiate eye contact, get him to talk to you and flirt. Do it once or twice, then just tell him to ask you or ask him whether he is going, he should get the hint.

I went to my semi formal and formal with just a bunch of friends guys and girls and it was sooo much fun. I remember people complaining about their partners because they werent dancing or doing the right thing. It will only be not fun if you think it will be not fun. Just enjoy yourself you will still have fun if you want to.

Going to dances without a date can be a lot of fun, but if you would rather have a date just pick some guy that you kind of like (someone you know as a friend probably would work great). You don't have to do a bunch of flirting or anything before. Just go up and ask him if he would like to go on a date to the semi formal. If he says no, then don't let it bother you because he is too shallow minded to not just go to a simple semi formal. Just go on to the next guy and try again. The nice guys are the ones that will say yes. Also, if a dinner is usually associated with your semi formals, then you might ought to consider paying for the meal since you were the one that asked. There is nothing wrong with the girl paying these days.