Fight with Best Friend - how do i deal?

Hi,

Last night i had a really big fight with my best friend. Hes been really down lately and a lot of his anger kept building up until it just exploded at me. He's just broken up with his girl friend but last night she was talking to him about getting back together. He told me about the problems he had had with her and even though i gave him my opinion on what he should do, i told him to do whatever makes him happy.

well he went off, for what reason i dont know. He started saying that im always telling him what to do and wanting to make his decisions for him. He took anything i have ever said to him about the situation and turned it in a manipulation tactic. He has never gone off on me like this before and it kind of scared me. Im not sure what to do. Im hoping it hasnt hurt our friendship, but im just not sure how to cope. He basically said that i deserved what he was throwing at me (exact words were "and dont think you dont deserve this").

I have always tried to be there for him, but last night i felt like he honestly hated me (but he says he doesnt). How can i deal with this and still let him know im there for him? I dont want to get into another fight with him. How do i tell if things are ok between us?

Hey All,

Just an update. My friend and I are talking and things seem to be ok. He says everything is fine, but i feel distant from him now. I always felt so close to him, but now i feel like there is this big gap. I worry that if i try to talk to him we'll get into another fight and i dont want that.

Ive been really down lately and really need a friend to talk to - he's usually the one i go to, but now i dont know if i can.