Low iron?what the?

Gidday all...I got some routine blood test results yesterday...cholesterol was 4.0 but iron was low??

I am eating 7 times a day...egg whites,chicken ,tuna steak..heaps of veges fruits...I am working out..I am taking iron suppplement already..I have grabbed some folic acid and a hi strength vitamin b...

What helps the absorption of iron into the bloodstream? Or what inhibits iron uptake?

Thanks in advance

TB

Gidday all...I got some routine blood test results yesterday...cholesterol was 4.0 but iron was low??

I am eating 7 times a day...egg whites,chicken ,tuna steak..heaps of veges fruits...I am working out..I am taking iron supplement already..I have grabbed some folic acid and a hi strength vitamin b...

What helps the absorption of iron into the bloodstream? Or what inhibits iron uptake?

Thanks in advance

TB

Vitamin C helps the absorption of iron, working out depletes the body of iron, so you have to compensate with more proteins. I work in the medical field and deal with alot of people with low iron...When I am taking blood from someone I know already if they have low iron or not...calcium inhibits the absorption of iron.

When I tried to give blood a few months ago they turned me down cause I was anemic. I know dark green vegetables are really high in iron (esp spinach) and I think they said dairy reduces the amount of iron your body absorbs.

I'm sure you can google it and find more good/bad foods

Yes, you are correct...I study nursing and also work for a blood institute...eating foods in the raw is best...dark leafy greens, cereals fortified with iron and drink orange juice with it on a REGULAR basis....women especially need to take supplements. Raw oysters are great for iron and zinc..zinc will boost your immune system and help prevent you from having colds....how low was your HCT?

how much red meat do you actually eat? if this doesnt help.. take iron in liquid form mixed with orange juice. it tends to help me. i honestly dont know why i have low iron either.. but i watch for symptoms and take my supplements accordingly. when im extra tired/moody/antsty/etc..

i just noticed that you're a male! that's really odd. i had a friend who was also anemic. i never found out what was wrong with him though...

Yes, you are correct...I study nursing and also work for a blood institute...eating foods in the raw is best...dark leafy greens, cereals fortified with iron and drink orange juice with it on a REGULAR basis....women especially need to take supplements. Raw oysters are great for iron and zinc..zinc will boost your immune system and help prevent you from having colds....how low was your HCT?

They didnt give me the result to keep... Just mentioned the iron was a tad low....Orange juice regularly ..I can do that..

I am pulling veges straight from garden and eating those every day...

Is it true that caffeine blocks iron uptake? I am using this in the morning when I run sprint on an empty stomach to burn more fat..

They didn't give me the result to keep... Just mentioned the iron was a tad low....Orange juice regularly ..I can do that..

I am pulling veges straight from garden and eating those every day...

Is it true that caffeine blocks iron uptake? I am using this in the morning when I run sprint on an empty stomach to burn more fat..

I am not to sure about caffeine, but I will research it for you...try drinking ginseng in the morning...it's a great energy booster and won't give you the lows...do you drink coffee or some type of energy drink?

At my job we have a scientific lab in the basement and, you cannot even go down there unless your wearing a hazmat suit...even the staff has to eat inside a non-contaminated room...they are working constantly on finding cures for blood bourne pathogens (e.g. HIV & Hep C) to name a few.

I am not to sure about caffeine, but I will research it for you...try drinking ginseng in the morning...it's a great energy booster and won't give you the lows...do you drink coffee or some type of energy drink?

I drink my own blend of green tea and black coffee in one..I get out the door and cover around 7 killometres 4.3 miles.Then have my breakky and water.My energy goes ballistic after this...no lows..? However i eat tuna at 10 am with fruit..12 pm more tuna fruit..or chicken breast 3 pm coffee chicken fish..my energy is better this way..

I drink my own blend of green tea and black coffee in one..I get out the door and cover around 7 killometres 4.3 miles.Then have my breakky and water.My energy goes ballistic after this...no lows..?

That's good...green tea is great and natural in caffeine, but remember with all that exercise you are depleting your iron..I see alot of that in people who are athletic...so moreeeeeeeeeeeeee proteins...smiles to you.

Try this blend...a fruit smoothie with green tea...or wheat grass with an orange wedge.

how much red meat do you actually eat? if this doesnt help.. take iron in liquid form mixed with orange juice. it tends to help me. i honestly dont know why i have low iron either.. but i watch for symptoms and take my supplements accordingly. when im extra tired/moody/antsty/etc..

i just noticed that you're a male! that's really odd. i had a friend who was also anemic. i never found out what was wrong with him though...

Tell me about it..Ive never had low iron before..I am trying to discover what gives me the best energy and exercising quite hard..My body has never changed so fast!!

On another note..having women in my life. I am senstiveto the fact that women need iron when they get their periods .I have seen happy women go very sad at this time and depressed very fast. Its at this time when women need emotional intelligence from their man as well. More so when they reach mid 30's to 40's .I think these other symptoms are worse for the women in this age gap because pre menopause can wreak havoc..

That's good...green tea is great and natural in caffeine, but remember with all that exercise you are depleting your iron..I see alot of that in people who are athletic...so moreeeeeeeeeeeeee proteins...smiles to you.

Try this blend...a fruit smoothie with green tea...or wheat grass with an orange wedge.

I might try that after my run.. My belief is that the body can burn more fat in a fasted state while blood sugar drops over night . I do know that the body normally need 20 minutes before it dips into fat burning .In a fasted state it burns fat alot quicker...Higher blood insulin levels prevent fat loss..so no sugar before I hit the neighbourhood Thats the theory anyway...

yes...that is correct..because your burning the fat on your body instead of later on in the day when you would be burning off the food calories...fasting state is better...just make sure you drink room temp water and not to much..sips...warm liquids absorb better in the body than cold....it's also better to take your vitamins in liquid form...easier on the body to absorb.

I have low iron, i'm very active and eat very well. I think its just the way I am. The doctor said if I want I can take prenatal supplements because they have iron but not a high dose.

Iron pills can be very hard on your stomache and my doctor advised me to stay away from them because my iron is just a little low, nothing big.

I wouldnt worry about it, maybe being low is normal to for your body.

I have low iron, i'm very active and eat very well. I think its just the way I am. The doctor said if I want I can take prenatal supplements because they have iron but not a high dose.

Iron pills can be very hard on your stomache and my doctor advised me to stay away from them because my iron is just a little low, nothing big.

I wouldnt worry about it, maybe being low is normal to for your body.

I have low iron too......Have been that way for years and it sucks. I am always cold. Iron pills wreak havoc on my stomach so sometimes I will take them and sometimes I won't/can't.

I try to eat foods that are rich in iron yet, I still have the low iron.

I have low iron too......Have been that way for years and it sucks. I am always cold. Iron pills wreak havoc on my stomach so sometimes I will take them and sometimes I won't/can't.

I try to eat foods that are rich in iron yet, I still have the low iron.

link removed

this should help with the stomach issue =)

I am eating 7 times a day...egg whites,chicken ,tuna steak..heaps of veges fruits...I am working out..I am taking iron suppplement already..I have grabbed some folic acid and a hi strength vitamin b...

Thanks in advance

TB

Vitamin C helps absorption, there's an enzyme that helps break iron down and get it to your red blood cells (you can't buy this to my knowledge). Sometimes as you age, your intestines just can't absorb as effectively. Men tend towards excess iron vs too low, so I think I'd check with a gastroenterologist if you can just to be safe, esepcially if you're taking pills. They generally don't recommend men take the pills because of that high risk of excess.... that tells me it's probably an absorption problem, or you could have an ulcer or something causing internal bleeding.

easier to absorb heme iron from meat than veggies, BTW. I use a C tablet after I eat meat at dinner or simply eat fruit with my meal.... cereal and OJ together can cause some insulin issues which isn't good for your metabolism unless you add in fats and protein with them. It's true about calcium affecting absorption. Anise, mint and licorice help promote absorption, BTW, to some small extent (in teas and seasonings)

(I'm a 3 year chronic Fe anemia patient and have been studing at med school libraries and research hospitals to resolve my issues. Not a doc, just at a hematologist almost weekly)

Vitamin C helps absorption, there's an enzyme that helps break iron down and get it to your red blood cells (you can't buy this to my knowledge). Sometimes as you age, your intestines just can't absorb as effectively. Men tend towards excess iron vs too low, so I think I'd check with a gastroenterologist if you can just to be safe, esepcially if you're taking pills. They generally don't recommend men take the pills because of that high risk of excess.... that tells me it's probably an absorption problem, or you could have an ulcer or something causing internal bleeding.

I had an ulcer years ago but still take the medication. My iron was low but just just out of range ..so it may be absorption but I am starting to think it maybe the fact of the literally spartan fitness training i am doing? Perhaps i just need to eat more? I am losing weight fast! Perhaps it is a sign that i should be eating more?

Maybe this is it ..my first few days back at work and people are looking at me and saying omg what happened to you? They are telling me my chest has exploded and i am looking very different they gasp!! Its nice of them to say but it may indicate too quick body change?

Perhaps more redmeat?

Archived