is my cat dying? advice

calidreamin0

So i have noticed the past couple of weeks my cat has been changing. He can't eat his dry food without some water in it. He is very needy and wants to cuddle with you all the time. He doesn't go outside very much and usually spends all his day out there and only comes inside at night. And last night I found some throw up, and this morning I found more throw up.

im curious if i should take him to the vet? he is my first cat, ive had him forever, so i don't know what kind of things are a sign of them dying. he is very old, so it wouldn't be suprising if he was really sick, im just afraid if i take him to the vet... he won't come back

Sounds like he has a thyroid problem. Most older cats begin to develop this issue

Only way to know is to take him to the vet. If you don't, there is a huge probability he will die.

Please take him to the vet

By the way, I have many cats and always had many cats, so I know their behavior.

poor kitty!!! yeah, i have never seen him really throw up anything besides hairballs, grass, etc. This was actual liquid throw up.

Im prepared for him to die, its just Im more concerned over him suffering from anything, than for myself.

But the thing is convincing my parents to take him... they would be paying for it. How can i convey to them i really think he needs to go to the vet?

Sounds like he has a thyroid problem. Most older cats begin to develop this issue

Only way to know is to take him to the vet. If you don't, there is a huge probability he will die.

Please take him to the vet

By the way, I have many cats and always had many cats, so I know their behavior.

Usually the hallmark signs of hyperthyroid (cats typically get this, it's very rare they get hypothyroid) is voracious appetite, excessive eating and drinking accompanied by weight loss, and excessive urination. These can also be a sign of diabetes.

Your cat may have a dental infection which is causing the difficulty eating dry food and lethargy, but it definitely warrants a visit to your vet for an exam and blood work.

Older cats often spend more time indoors and sleeping.

Let us know what the vet says!

Yes, definitely take him to the vet.

Is he losing weight? Did you find a hairball in his vomit, or perhaps some grass? My cat vomits up hairballs fairly regularly, and I know that cats that are outdoor (mine is not) tend to eat grass and other plants, and it often makes them throw up.

If his energy level is low, though, and if he is clingier than usual and there is a change in his appetite, there is a possibility that something is wrong. Some have suggested hyperthyroidism, which is a possibility (my parents' 17 year old cat has this, and she lost a ton of weight rather rapidly), but it could be other things as well.

Definitely get him checked out, if only to ease your mind. It might be something that can be treated with medication; it would be good to get him in as soon as possible.

Archived