Insecurity....help!

Phoenix_girl

I was wondering if anyone knows a way to overcome insecurity?

I've started realizing I am very very very insecure, especially where friendships and relationships are concerned, but I don't know how to overcome it.

I know my behaviour is....unacceptable....and I'm tired of it tearing apart my friendships with people or preventing me from even getting into them to begin with.

Help!

I was wondering if anyone knows a way to overcome insecurity?

I've started realizing I am very very very insecure, especially where friendships and relationships are concerned, but I don't know how to overcome it.

I know my behaviour is....unacceptable....and I'm tired of it tearing apart my friendships with people or preventing me from even getting into them to begin with.

Help!

Hey you know what? I'm insecure too. What I do to help myself overcome this is I write out a list of the stuff I like about myself, the stuff I don't like, and what my talents are. For everything I like about myself, I work hard to keep those things moving in the right direction.

Example: I love my hair, so I keep it done and healthy.

For everything I don't like about myself, I try to improve that. Example: My stomach isn't the flattest in the world, so I exercise it every other day to improve that part of me. Example: I feel like I'm not smart enough, so I try to read as much as possible.

For my talents, I try to use them to help others out. Example: I am very good at making strangers feel welcomed and appreciated, so I use that as much as possible.

It's a hard process to make your self esteem better, but it is worth it.

Ok so here's a perfect example of how insecurity is destroying my life (and my friendship with my best friend). It's 4 am where I am and all i can think about is texting my best friend (hes a guy) and demanding to know why he has not responded to any of my emails or text messages since Oct 20. Last I heard from him he wanted to catch up and he also has a girlfriend. I should mention that I just sent him an email sometime yesterday and the logical side of me says I need to give him a chance to respond to that.

If he hasn't responded to emails/text messages i get scared that i'm loosing him or that hes mad at me. I get mad at him for not responding (yes its inconsiderate, but nothing to freak out over) and rather upset, when I really shouldnt.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to distract myself to avoid giving into these very strong urges? I don't want to push him away more then I already have.

PG

Archived