Tock

Students Humbled

Tick Tock

Nails bitten

Sentence written

Tick Tock

Faces frown

Pens down

It won't let me do the layout that I want here, but it looks better on Word.

Yes, I think it really is a strong piece. Though I have to hand it to you -- first, I cannot rhyme on command, so that is very hard unless you are a born rhymer (and I actually do think like Benedict in Much Ado About Nothing "I was not born under a rhyming planet"! ..unless I'm truly inspired.) And second, style and taste are so personal, it would be hard for me to write poetry for grades. I'd much rather stay with the writing/critique circles where you can get many different viewpoints...

So that's a toughie...

Your poems are quite strong though, rose!

One thing that really spices up my poems you might experiement with is creating ususual mixtures of verbs, using less-known verbs...or the standby of switching senses around like "hearing a jabbing sound" or "tasting something loud" to create a sense of surprise. Those are some of the things I like to play with a lot, but to then get that to rhyme as well can be tough.

Remember, this is just one professor, too. One opinion, even if she's a prof. Art is nothing if not subjective.

rhyming isn't essential for poetry,you did a good job in your poem. I found rhyming usually limits you to word choice, which isn't always a bad thing either but sometimes the word you want to use wont fit due to a rhyming scheme.

Also remember to show the reader instead of telling the reader.