**The Depo Shot (birth control)**

I am currently on the depo shot. I have had some side effects that I just want to make sure are normal.. so if anyone knows, it would be greatly appreciated!

First thing is first, I've been on the shot ever since about the end of November, and I started spotting shortly after, and HAVE been spotting ever since. And it was kind of a concern because everytime me and my boyfriend have sex, the blood usually gets in the way and gets everywhere. Is this normal to bleed during/after sex when still on the shot? cuz it usually gets pretty bad.

Second, when i spot or bleed, it usually is like a brownish color. Is that normal. And every now and then I'll go to the bathroom and it's RED.. The two different colors really confuse me.

How does the spotting and bleeding usually take to end? I heard six months maximum.. but one girl told me that she did for the first couple of weeks and didn't bleed after that.

Thanks.. any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!

It depends on when you got the shot?

Was it IMMIDIATELY after your last period in Nov.? Because unless you get the shot as soon as you finish mensturating...you will continue to have your period irregularly. Like, if you just went in to the Dr's office before, or a long time after your period...you will continue to bleed (a little, not excessive).

So, check your schedule. I suggest waiting more than the 3 months to get another shot. Wait until you've finished a complete period...then get to the doctor as soon as you finish bleeding...and get the shot again.

Hey CrazyKarl

I'm also on the depo shot, and I have been for a year now. I bled for the first 8 months-ish. It woz sometimes spotting and sometimes a full period, but it was always very irregular. The brownish colour is normal, it's just what you get when you're not having a heavy period, when it's red it's just that there's a little more blood, it's slightly heavier and thereforeeee a different colour. It's like when your having a period, most women have a heavy flow some days and a lighter flow others. This is completely normal. It just takes the body a while to get adapt to the changes that the depo injection makes.

If you are worried about this then I suggest asking your GP about it next time you go for a shot. This is what I did because my friend went on the shot at the same time as me and didn't bleed at all, whereas I had heavy spotting for 3 weeks straight. It is a pain in the a$$ but it does get better. Everybody just reacts differently.

Whilst we are on the subject of the depo can I ask if you've had any other side effects? Because my mood swings have been uncontrollable lately and I would just like to know if anyone else is experiecing this.

It's normal. After you begin Depo, your menstrual cycle starts to change. Most women on Depo do experience irregular bleeding or spotting (this actually occurs with the Pill as well). However, this spotting usually is light and only temporary; it typically decreases within 3 to 6 months. After the first year, many women stop having periods altogether for as long as they continue using Depo.

Unusually heavy or continuous bleeding is not a normal effect of Depo. If this happens, you should tell your doctor.

Depo causes a resting state in your ovaries. When your ovaries do not release an egg each month, the lining of the uterus does not build up and there is less lining to be shed.

Don't stop now…

If you've had only 2 or 3 injections and are feeling frustrated by occasional spotting, please hang in there! With just a little more time on Depo, you're likely to see a continuing decrease in spotting. And if you're like many other women who use Depo, you may eventually experience having no periods at all!

I hope this helps answer your questions.

JSHRN

I recently began Depo back in November 03. I received my first injection about midway from when my last period stopped and when my next one was to begin. Since then, I have yet to get another period. Not even spotting. Nothing. The only effect I've noticed from Depo is that my breast tissue has become really tender lately.

i got one depo shot last october and let me tell you that it was such hell. I bled like you for the period of the entire period of three months, skin condition was horrible and mood swings were unbelievable. I felt like having a permanent period plus PMS . Never again I tell you, never again.

=;

• 1 month later...

On the subject of the depo. shot, I have been on mine for four months and have had a period for almost everyday .But Iam on it because I have endometriosis, and the doctor is trying to keep me from having a period to slow down the endometriosis. But it doesn't make since to me that Iam having a period everyday now, and that is what causes the endo. in the first place, can anyone help me understand whats going on?

• 2 months later...

I'm on the depo shot now and i'm going through alot of thing. First I'm always spotting which i see its normal. It's never the same color. one day it can be brown then another it's red. The seconed problem is I'm not even interested in haveing sex with my boyfriend. I never want to do anything. It's like when my b/f starts coming on to me I get fustrated and I get stressed. what's wrong with me?