I have never heard of that crap in my whole life. Some people are brone to getting cold sores (fever blisters). Plus when you are sick or stressed strange things happen to your body. If his statement were true then I would have had to gotten HIV from some unknown sorce b/c I was a little bitty kid when I first got one. That was ridicoulous to say if you ask me. Maybe others have opinions, but I think you friend is trying to scare you.

um, well i have heard that sores like that are a form of a sexually transmitted disease, but some people are born with it as they just said. well it isn't anything big to worry about. you can get them from other people by sharing lip gloss or kissing them, but it's not going to kill you, almost everyone has had them. and one fact about them is that once you get one they usually come back in the same spot. but really it isn't like some dangerious thing. so it's okay.

Cold sores are actually a form of Herpes. Not HIV. But you CAN transmit the herpes virus to another person when you have a breakout. You should refrain from oral activities with a partner if you have a cold sore. Even light contact with the cold sore can transfer the virus.

I thinl your friend might have his facts mixed up. A person who has herpes is a HSV carrier and not a HIV carrier. Herpes is a relatively common virus affecting up to 1 in 8 sexually active people. Most carriers don't even know they have the virus until they have a breakout. Now, this may happen or it may not happen. Some people with Herpes can go throughout their entire lives without having a breakout and thereforeeee don't realise that they have the virus at all.

There are more than 80 known types of the herpes virus, but only eight are known to cause disease in humans. The most common herpes viruses are Herpes Simplex Virus 1 (HSV-1) and Herpes Simplex Virus 2 (HSV-2). These look identical under a microscope, and either type can infect the mouth or genitals. Usually HSV-1 affects areas above the waist causing cold sores or fever blisters, and HSV-2 affects areas below the waist causing genital herpes. But both viruses can cause outbreaks in either area. Other common herpes infections include chickenpox (varicella-zoster) and shingles (herpes zoster).

Genital herpes is a contagious viral infection that spreads through close, physical skin-to-skin contact. It can affect both men and women, causing periodic outbreaks that may appear as painful or itchy clusters of blisters, bumps, and rashes in the genital area. The disease is widespread in the United States; the CDC estimates that approximately 1 million people are infected each year. Anyone who is sexually active, including any vaginal, oral, or anal contact, can get it. The virus will always stay in your body and there is currently no cure; however, there are ways to manage it.

Up to 90% of HSV-2–positive people have not been diagnosed and are unaware of their condition. Some of these people confuse their genital herpes symptoms with other conditions such as jock itch, yeast infections, insect bites, and allergic reactions. Others don't have genital herpes symptoms at all, but are still contagious. Even more, genital herpes testing is not part of any standard blood work done on routine physical examinations. Because of this, genital herpes is a hidden epidemic.

It's important to know that HSV-1 can also cause genital herpes through oral-genital contact. A cold sore, sometimes called a "fever blister," is a blister or sore that usually appears on the outside of the lips or mouth. Cold sores are also caused by a herpes virus, usually HSV-1. Cold sores may appear just once in a person's life, or return again and again.

HSV-1 infections are extremely common and are often spread during childhood. Experts estimate that 80-90% of the population 50 years of age and older has been exposed to HSV-1. Some people who are infected never actually get a cold sore, but once the virus is in the body it never completely goes away. HSV-1 can be spread through physical contact, like kissing

You may not know how you became infected with genital herpes. The virus spreads from one person to another during close physical, skin-to-skin contact, like oral, vaginal, or anal sex. The virus can be active on the surface of the skin without showing any signs or causing any symptoms. That's why you can pass the virus to your partner even when you are not having an outbreak. It is important to use condoms in order to reduce the chance of spreading the virus to others. Bear in mind that the virus can be present on the skin in areas that are not covered by a condom, so even with protection, there is still still some chance you can spread the virus to others.

You should be aware that both HSV-1 and HSV-2 are contagious, especially during a genital or oral outbreak. When you have an outbreak of genital herpes, don't have physical, skin-to-skin contact, including oral, vaginal, or anal sex. So once you have genital herpes, you may be at risk for spreading the disease both during outbreaks and in between.

When you have a cold sore outbreak, don't kiss other people — even casually. And don't engage in oral sex. Remember that the virus can be spread from the cold sore to the point of contact. In fact, a growing number of new genital herpes cases are caused by HSV-1.

To take charge of your condition, you have to understand how genital herpes acts in the body, how to recognize the symptoms, how to treat it, and how to reduce the risk of spreading it to others.

The important thing to understand is that genital herpes is manageable. With your doctor's help, you can decide the treatment option that is right for you.

I also have one more question...how do you know the difference between a cold sore and just a blemish on the side of our lip? ...cuz i mean i have this thing on the side of my lip but it's not all crusty and it doesn't hurt it just looks like a pimple or something but i'm getting scared that what if i'm a carrier...i mean, i already gave oral to my bf yesterday when i had this and we kissed a lot...

In regards to questions regarding transmission of the Herpes virus:

1: You can still get the virus off a carrier even when there are no visible symptoms. Sex is always a game of chance. You never know your partner's full sexual history. Always keep this in mind, when you have sex with someone, you are also having sex with every person they ever slept with and all the people that those people ever slept with. Never take any chances.

If I'm going to have a one-night stand, then I'll wear a condom. But if I intend on having a long-term relationship with a particular person then I will insist on getting a full and complete sexual medical to ensure that no "nasties" are being passed between us. If they don't agree, then there is no relationship. It's as simple as that.

I only do this because I had a friend who got involved with a girl who "apparently" didn't know she had the AIDS virus. Unfortunately for my friend, he found this out the hard way and by then it was too late. He's no longer with us. Never take any chances. Just because you happen to be straight doesn't mean you can't get the AIDS virus. It's not just a "gay disease" as most people think. My girlfriend and I both had check ups prior to any unprotected sexual contact. That way, we were both safe in the knowledge that we were clean of any sexual transmitted diseases.

2: Herpes is spread by direct skin to skin contact. Unlike a flu virus that you can get through the air, herpes spreads by direct contact, that is, directly from the site of infection to the site of contact. For example, if you have a cold sore and kiss someone, you can transfer the virus to his or her mouth. Similarly, if you have active genital herpes and have vaginal or anal intercourse, you can give your partner genital herpes. Finally, if you have a cold sore and put your mouth on your partner's genitals (oral sex), you can give your partner genital herpes. Even though it is classified as genital herpes, it is still type Herpes Simplex Virus type 1. It just happens to be in your genital region.

It's important to understand that genital herpes is related to cold sores. They are both caused by a herpes virus, and the HSV-1 that usually causes cold sores is a growing cause of genital herpes. Many people with genital herpes also suffer from cold sores.

TRANSMISSION OF THE HERPES VIRUS

Herpes is most easily spread when a sore is present, but it is also often spread at other times too. Some people notice itching, tingling or other sensations before they see anything on their skin. These are called "Prodromal Symptoms" and they warn that virus may be present on the skin. Herpes is most likely to be spread from the time these first symptoms are noticed until the area is completely healed and the skin looks normal again. Sexual contact (oral, vaginal, or anal) is very risky during this time.

Sometimes those who know they are infected spread the virus between outbreaks, when no signs or symptoms are present. This is called "Asymptomatic Transmission."

Research also shows that herpes simplex infections are often spread by people who don't know they are infected. These people may have symptoms so mild they don't notice them at all or else don't recognize them as herpes.

Many genital herpes infections are spread from persons who are asymptomatic "Shedders" of the virus.

For those who recognize their symptoms, asymptomatic transmission appears to be far less likely than spreading the virus when lesions are present. Many couples have had sexual relations for years without transmitting herpes. Some simply avoid having sexual contact when signs or symptoms are present. Others use condoms or other protection between outbreaks to help protect against asymptomatic shedding.

I hope the above information has helped you understand the virus a little better. Just remember one thing. Always protect yourself. Even though you wear a condom, you are still at a minimal risk of transmission. Herpes may be a nuisance to live with, but at least you can still live. Herpes is very insignificant compared to the AIDS virus. Protect yourself at any cost. I only wish my friend had been so careful. By the way, he was only 24 when he passed away. He still had a lifetime ahead of him but unfortunately I will never know what kind of person he would have been today if he were still alive. Don't make the mistake he did.

PROTECT YOURSELF

Goincrazy, the only true way you know if any sexual encounter is safe is with testing. You are not a doctor (I'm just guessing, of course ), so you have no way of telling. When it comes down to it, there are MANY more things for you to be worried about than herpes, though. Herpes most likely isn't going to threaten your life... what about AIDS? Things like that should be your concern.

Summerdreams, yes... a person with oral herpes can give someone genital herpes through oral sex. Oral herpes is usually HSV-1, and genital herpes is usually HSV-2, but they are not exclusive to those regions of your body. So... yes.

You mentioned a pimple, and I would say that most likely you are right. After a heavy night of kissing, you usually have just irritated the skin around your mouth, and it is most likely just a blemish. If you are EVER concerned, though, I urge you to see a doctor. It's quick and easy, and they are the only ones who can ease your mind for sure.

S.A.M.