Gaydar - Are appearances accurate enough?

No. It's not always the case.

Especially in the case of women in sports, and I've had a very macho friend who turned out not to find the female of the species as attractive as I do.

However, the stereotypes exist for a reason. 8 times out of 10...

But why does it matter?

this probs needs moving to the lgbt section.

I think appearances can be good if someone is using them to define their identity clearly.. short bob of hair, blokes clothes, etc. Still it doesn't nec mean they are gay.. sexuality is too confined, labelled and categorised if u ask me. Everything is a continuum... and there are so many types of sexuality and preferences than gay, bi, straight.

Is this actually accurate? Does it always turn out like that?

It may be accurate some of the time, and that's what keeps the stereotype alive- however sexuality is a complex issue. A person's gender identity does not always indicate their sexuality.

For example: There are many straight males who cross-dress as females. There are very "feminine" women who are lesbians. etc. etc.

Gender identity and sexual orientiation are not always related.

For example, everytime a masculine looking female tennis player shows up on the tour, there are rumours swirling around about her sexuality.

I guess the bigger question that pops into my mind is: Why do people even care? What does it have to do with tennis? Why would a person's sexuality make a difference at all in that situation?

well I dont feel that one can label an individual coz of heir looks .I mean..If a gal was boyish she would either be 50%gay or 50%not...I know im girly on the outside but I love macho stuff too,,but I dont look macho but I still love girls..So i guesss one cant exaclty deciede....

Personality and body language is more of a factor in my opinion. Really you cannot tell if someone is gay unless they show interest in you, and you show interest in them at least as a friend, if not more. If they don't, then A) They are Straight B) They are gay and don't like you (which is practically the same thing and you should respect that).

Nah. I almost never look into appearances. The gay guys I've been able to "gaydar" out weren't really that feminine, but there was something I managed to pick up. Granted, some people still come out to me and I'm surprized. And one of my best friends is kind of feminine, in the whole "Honey, your make-up is all wrong" way, but I'm positive he's straight, even with the rumours going around him.

[

Nicole Bass - straight - (married 20+ years)

You only need to go to a site like link removed to find out that married doesnt neccesarily mean straight. I'm not saying Nicole Bass is gay or bi, I'm just saying being married isnt proof of straightness.

Personality and body language is more of a factor in my opinion. Really you cannot tell if someone is gay unless they show interest in you, and you show interest in them at least as a friend, if not more. If they don't, then A) They are Straight B) They are gay and don't like you (which is practically the same thing and you should respect that).

Just because someone shows an interest in you does not mean that they are gay or straight. I know many straight married women who shows an interest other females but that does not mean that they are gay. Some people jsut want to explore.

Any who to answer the original question: Like other posters has said...you cannot judge a book by it's cover. I am a lesbian...very feminine looking, you would never be able to tell that I am in a same sex relationship. Appearances does not identify anyone. If I wore a suit everyday and carried a briefcase would you think that I am a lawyer...lol? Althoug...I wear them often but I am no lawyer.

Just because someone shows an interest in you does not mean that they are gay or straight. I know many straight married women who shows an interest other females but that does not mean that they are gay. Some people jsut want to explore.

Any who to answer the original question: Like other posters has said...you cannot judge a book by it's cover. I am a lesbian...very feminine looking, you would never be able to tell that I am in a same sex relationship. Appearances does not identify anyone. If I wore a suit everyday and carried a briefcase would you think that I am a lawyer...lol? Althoug...I wear them often but I am no lawyer.

yes, but if they show interest in you, then that gives you permission to show interest back, lol.

Archived