Can't stop cutting

BlackRaven

I am not after attention. I have so many problems. I am ill with epilepsy and depression. I have flashbacks of bad memories. I even dream about them. It drives me crazy. I cry all the time. The only thing that helps me feel better is cutting my wrists. It gives me a relief. I thought I would try it cause I was under stress but now I can't stop. I keep them clean and I don't go that deep. I go deep enough to make them bleed though. Why do I get urges to hurt myself and why can't I stop? Thanks for reading.

Have you tried counselling or talking to someone. They might be able to help. I know it feels like the only thing that helps but its not. Hurting yourself more wont help! I read a thing, where if you hold ice in your hands it hurts, like cutting would hurt, but it isnt going to cause you scars or injuries. Its like pain thats scar free.

I am not after attention. I have so many problems. I am ill with epilepsy and depression. I have flashbacks of bad memories. I even dream about them. It drives me crazy. I cry all the time. The only thing that helps me feel better is cutting my wrists. It gives me a relief. I thought I would try it cause I was under stress but now I can't stop. I keep them clean and I don't go that deep. I go deep enough to make them bleed though. Why do I get urges to hurt myself and why can't I stop? Thanks for reading.

My friends daughter is a cutter.

My cousin was a cutter.

She had been raped while studying abroad and molested by our Grandfather (as was I). Cutting was her way of dulling the pain.

I listed some links that may help you. Talk to your parents. Get help!!

You can recover from the pain. I promise you, you can.

link removed

A MySpace cutters support group

link removed

Other cutters stories... you ARE NOT ALONE

link removed

GOOD LUCK, LIFE CAN AND OFTEN DOES GET BETTER

Hey there Black Raven,

I think I can relate to what you're experiencing. I spent a decent deal of my life, from age nine to the present (I'm in my 20's), cutting myself. I'd do it on and off, for months at a time when I was younger. The people around me didn't understand it, and it ended up getting me into a lot of trouble. As I got older, I began doing it less frequently, but the damage became more severe.

I still struggle with this, though I do it very infrequently, (the last time I did it was in January).

Over the years, I've figured out other ways of fulfilling the the urge to hurt myself, without doing too much actual damage.

I like getting tattoos, and getting laser-hair removal, and getting waxed, (silly, right? but effective.) I guess what I'm getting at, is that there are other ways to feel what you crave without cutting yourself.

As a disclaimer, it sounds to me like cutting yourself isn't putting you in too much danger. In my experience, the danger of the act comes into play during moments of extreme depression/stress, for people who have learned to cope with self destruction. At the height of a very emotionally charged argument with my boyfriend last year, I felt overwhelmed and resorted to hurting myself. However, I was so angry, so energized from the fight, that my blood pumped with adrenalin. I couldn't really notice or feel how deeply I was cutting myself, and didn't really care. I ended up losing so much blood in the following minutes that I fainted and went into shock. The whole experience was dangerous, and remarkably embarrassing. I'd never meant for my 4 roommates to have to see me naked on the floor, bleeding and shaking.

It's a slippery slope. You've gotta realize that you are in control of this. You have the power to keep going, and you have the power to stop. You really do.

Break dishes, cry freely, breath deeply, laugh loudly, and read.

you are trying to gain control of your life... but there is no such thing as control in life.

you are trying to gain control of your life... but there is no such thing as control in life.

Well sure there is. Illusion of control at least. Sure the bigger things fate may decide, but you can be in control also.. if you study hard it should pay off for an exam. If you don't turn up for the exam, you will fail.

A fixed daily routine can be a method to help individuals gain more control.

At night before you go to bed write down on one sheet of paper all appointments outside of the house the day after.

E.g. 9-5 work. 7pm go tesco, etc.

Then on another sheet of paper write down everything, include time up, time working, break times, meal times, time cooking, etc.

E.g.

up 8.20, wash

breakfast 8.30

Dress 8.40

leave house 8.50

Work 9-5

Arrive home 5.30

Rest 5.30-6

6-begin cooking and eat, pasta,

7.30 reading time

8.20 make that phonecall

9-10 studies

10-11 relax/watch Tv/bath

plan out 2moz,

and bed

A basic routine like this can help you to feel in control of the next day, AND as you may have noticed, self-injury is NOT on the routine!

Of course allow yourself flexibility, that doesnt mean ignoring the routine unnecessarily, but don't allow yourself to get upset if it is simply not possible to stick to it. When it becomes possible again just pick up at the appropriate time on your schedule, and perhaps rewrite bits.

good luck!

girl friend

Archived