celci

So I went and saw an apartment today and fell in LOVE with it. It was everything I had been looking for and very affordable. However, because i am a full time student and living there alone, I cannot live there. I have to have someone who isn't a full time student live with me. However I do not want a roommate.

I tried to say I wasn't a full time student anymore just to see what she would say, and she said I would have to be not a full time student for 5 months. I am freaking out right now, because everything about the apartment is PERFECT and I want to know if there is any way around this. Anything I can do to kind of bulk the system I guess. I know that sounds terrible, but I just can't pass it up.

In a word, no. Honesty is always the best policy. I had roommates until I was in my late twenties. You do what you have to do. If you go against the wishes of the owner, they can do a nasty thing where everywhere you try to rent in the future will know about what you did and you will find it hard to rent anywhere. That will mean moving back home with your parents until quite a few years have passed. Be honest with them and see if you can reach a compromise. Most people are more flexible if you are honest and wave a few bucks at them.

I think thats BS about the 5 month waiting period after you are full time student. If you are a full time student how can you afford a place on your own anyway? Its not just rent, its electric, cable and/or internet, car payment, gas, food, bathroom supplies, etc. If this is your first place then you will need alot of things for the house to make it workable - like silverware, dishes, pots and pans, towels, etc.

Make sure you can really afford this place before you try to con your way into it.

Landlords set up rules for renting out their property at any discresion they want so to answer pinkelephant's question, no it is not illegal. As an owner of a property you have the full privlidge of chosing who you want living there, it's by no means like hiring someone. Nowdays, landlords have a right to ask you your annual income even and can verify this with employer reference. If you don't provide that they can chose to rent to someone that does.

There are two primary reasons why landlords set up this common rule "no students", one reason is because they associate students with party life and late night/weekend parties. I know a few property owners personally who have had a bad experiences renting to students for that reason. Second reason is because they feel the student is not as financially stable as full time employee and may be looking for someone who is. Ofcourse, this is not the case with all students but this happens so landlords are carefull in that regard. Because the landlord mentioned they woiuld welcome you there as a student provided you have a full time working room mate they are not concerned with partying and noise but rather the money aspect so the only way you can go around that is by offering a large chunk of money up front maybe to cover the full lease for a year so they don't have to worry. You can try to borrow the money off of someone, it's your only option.

I don't understand why she wants specifically a non-full time student to live there.

If you gain an insight into why she made that as a criteria, maybe you can progress a bit further. Nice place only takes a day or two before it gets rented out. Act quick.

Landlords set up rules for renting out their property at any discresion they want so to answer pinkelephant's question, no it is not illegal. As an owner of a property you have the full privlidge of chosing who you want living there, it's by no means like hiring someone. Nowdays, landlords have a right to ask you your annual income even and can verify this with employer reference. If you don't provide that they can chose to rent to someone that does.

Not Entirely true. Landlords can not discriminate because of your gender, race or sexual orientation. If they do, they can be brought up on charges from the EOH.

However, they can discriminate against those who they think can't pay. Full time students generally have no/very little income. Sounds like they are concerned that you won't be able to pay several months down the road. If you get someone else to sign the lease.. it doesn't mean they have to live there. It just means they are responsible for the rent if you can not pay.

It's exactly like cosigning for a loan... which i don't recommend anyone doing.

Sounds like if you want the apartment, you will have to have one of your parents sign the lease as well.

Archived