Birth Control: Depo Shot

Hi All,

I have a question about the potent and poisonous Depo Shot. I am trying to get it out of my system after my doctor informed me of side effects AFTER giving me the shot...

DONT EVER GET IT! IT MESSES YOU UP!!!

Anyways...when a doctor says you are "due" for your shot, what does that mean exactly? Does that mean that the shot will be (for the most part) ineffective after that date, or is it starting to get out of your system at that date? I used the shot for two years, stopped for six months, then started again last September. So, I have gotten three shots since restarting. I was never "on time" with my due dates, so I kept having to "restart" the shot. From this, I have always had a period. Does this mean I will be able to return to fertility faster than most? Am I going to be able to have a baby relatively soon?

I have absolutely no idea. I've heard horror stories about the depo shot as well.

I think it's best to talk to a doctor about all this. Set up some sort of "consulation" appointment, write down all your questions and bring them with you. If the doctor won't answer them find one that will.

Wish I could help, but I truly have no idea.

it will start wearing out after your due date.

i hate that crap. it ruined my bones... poison...

as with any horomonal BC it will probably effect your system after you stop taking it. i was on it for 4+ years and i took a month and a half of BC pills to help regulate me.. so far i have had 3 cycles on perfect time and all fairly regular.

As for the baby thing, it really just depends on your system and how the shot effected you. its different for every person. Just be patient. Some can have kids right away some can take around 18 months.. and this is in the absense of other problems you may or may not be aware of. Good luck

I don't know why doctors are allowed to give out that shot without having you sign a sheet saying you understand the (insert horrible side effects here that will most likely happen here) risks.

The date is when you are supposed to get your next shot, after that date it's supposed to be out of (or close to) out of your system.

Why anyone would go back for another shot is beyond me. My sister got the shot same as you, was told nothing about it, and waited for months in fear for it to be out of her.

When they say you are "Due" for your next shot it just means that in order for it to be fully effective you need it by that date. The depo usually stays in your system up to 3 months after your last shot though.

Depo is an evil evil thing.

If you're trying to get pregnant you need to talk with your doctor about it. Since most doctors suggest you wait a certain amount of time between going off birth control and actually "Trying" Birth Control affects everyone differently.

what is depo?

the devil....

depo provera.

it was invented i believe as a method of sterilizing sex offenders in foreign countries, then it made its way into the us as a form of birth control. its black labeled by the FDA and often comes laced with adverse side-effects for its users. it stops ovulation and thickens cervical mucous, making it one of the most effective forms of bc. plus you only need one injection every 3 months.. however it is directly related to rapid bone loss in almost every user, even osteoporosis in as little as 5 years of use.

it also has a very very slight chance of causing permanant sterility.

thats what i 'know' of it.

Archived