Just saw Into the Wild

Boughs

I just saw "Into the Wild". That movie touched me. Everything that happened in that film I've aspired to become. Just run. It hit me deep because it reminds me of what I felt everyday growing up in my parents home. The minute I came to college was the best day of my life. I cried pretty much that entire film because of how incredible it was striking every cord in me.

I'm falling apart just thinking about the film right now. Its everything I want to be, but I'm too scared to do that. Sorry my mind is all over the place, that movie messed me up.

Wow, I should go watch it. That's just how I feel too. Trapped, I wanna get away and do my own thing. (I'm guessing by your description this is what the movie is about.)

I went away to college too........but.....well......I dropped out. Again and again....

Still at home, looking for a job, planning on getting an apartment for myself. I'm scared I won't be able to handle living on my own, and ESPECIALLY scared of being ABSOLUTELY ALONE. I don't exactly....have friends, at the moment. ALL I have are my family that I live with.

I read the original book, but have not seen the movie. I thought it was well done mainly as I like Krakauer and most of his real-life based outdoors-adventure stories (if not just for the lessons of what not to do!).....but I imagine the movie, like the book it is based on, is a bit "hollywooded" too.

There is a flip side to that story too, that you can probably find by googling, that talk about how some of it was just plain stupid (mostly coming from locals) whom can't understand why people come to see the bus where he lived as tourist attraction either. Interesting perspective anyway.

Moral of the story based on their accounts: if you do go camp out in Alaska; bring more than a 10lb bag of rice and look at a map at least before you go. At least then you would know you indeed CAN cross the river up a ways.

Anyway, my point is.....well, I am not sure what my point is. I think at times we all feel trapped, or lost, in the world. It is in those times, by figuring out whom we are and what we really want - and striving for it - we become whom we are. This means different things, for different people and part of the journey in life is figuring out YOUR own definition for "living".

Well I think it struck so deep in me is that I come from a very wealthy family. I got trapped in the "things things things" kind of attitude. It always upset me because my parents only focused on work and my life seemed to be a robotic existence. Now as a young man, I'm starting to feel the same way Chris did. I've always thought of how amazing it would be to live the absolute animilistic life. Leave everything behind and find the essense of myself and existence in its truest form. Thoreau has always been an inspiration to me.

Growing up I wanted to run away from the materialistic life, but when its given to you so good you look around at the less fortunate and you feel suppressed into being "stupid if you leave everything that you have". But to me those that say "appreciate all you have" are ignorant, because some of us wish to have nothing but the enjoyment of life. I hate it when people ever said "you are blessed with money"... sure I'm blessed to have an easier life, but money is crap, and I want it all to disappear to be normal.

Ah, well, I guess I was lucky that I did not have the problem of growing up in a wealthy family - and the focus was always on being the best us in the way that made us happy, as we could be.

Supportive family, but definitely not a wealthy one! Which is why I am again in enormous student loan debt - and working to get through school again! Yay!

I don't have that urge to "run away"; but I am attracted to the simple life in many ways - I would love to live off the grid and all, though it may be hard in my future career to do so! I think this is more because I am an "outdoors, love the nature chick" rather than escaping the kind of situation you are talking about.

Well, I am not sure what you are doing now, but there are tons of ways you can "give back" and not be identified by your family's money. Some of the most rewarding things I do is work with those in hard times, volunteering through my graduate program to work with those whom are disadvantaged, and raise awareness through different committees.

You can also decide to put any money you do have in a closed savings or investment fund, not to touch until you are 60 - and start from scratch independent to yourself.

Meeting new circles of friends whom are not of that 'things things things' mindset can really help you be opened up to the world without that.

And...find your passion. Once you do; whether money comes from it or not, you will begin to learn that enjoyment of life that will positively infect and influence the rest of your life.

One thing I would say to you, Boughs, is not to romanticise poverty or 'normal life'. As someone who grew up in relative poverty, and who struggled to educate myself to Ph.D. level, I'm of the opinion that idealism should be tempered by a healthy respect for money and the benefits it can bring. Money can do great good as well as being 'the root of all evil'. I agree that crass materialism is depressing and degrading to the human spirit. But poverty is truly soul-destroying also.

I was inspired by Thoreau too, but more for his pre-environmental movement environmentalism. Dropping out has always been, ironically, the privilege and luxury of the middle classes, or the disaffected youth of the middle classes. Most of them give it up and become bankers in the long run.

I appreciate money, never having had any. I'm not materialistic or greedy, but I know how humiliating not having money can be.

Yup, believe me....it is not that romantic.

That is why I expressed concerns over the hollywoodization of the story.

You should see some of the people I come into contact with through my volunteering; and well, my family really struggled as I was younger. We made it, but it was extremely tough for my mum - my dad left and while she had an education she had four mouths to feed, no job at the time as he wanted her to be a stay at home, and she had to take on a FT job that paid crap, and go back to school. We ate a LOT of soup as it was cheapest thing to make! I am so proud of her, today she is doing amazing and she really did a great job for us keeping us out of the poor house. But it was not glamorous!

The last thing you want is to find you do not have choices, because you don't have money; which is the reality for many. Many people whom would love to go to school, can't. Many whom would like to escape reservations where there is horrible poverty, addiction and abuse, can't. Many whom would love to leave abusive relationships, can't.

I am fortunate in that student loans will give me $60,000 over the three years of my grad school (and I am also working) - for some they would not even advance the funds as they are worried about the ability to repay. That is truly limiting....or your choice is to join the army....to get your education. Rather sad.

I agree, a healthy respect for financial health and the opportunities it affords, balanced with not allowing it to control you and fall into the crass materialism, is important.

I agree. The crucial difference is whether poverty is chosen or imposed. I admire people who live modestly and are not flash with their cash, but I see terrible disadvantage every day in the part of the city in which I work and it is not pretty. It marks people in ways that can't be eradicated. I have seen that with my own father, who suffers from the effects of a childhood impoverished emotionally, culturally, and materially. He feels guilty about having a decent standard of living now that he is in his sixties. He has never really overcome the poverty of his youth. And I feel that 'taint' myself in ways, despite a lengthy and expensive education.

*End of sermon*

;-)

While I agree with what you are both saying, I think extremeties always cause problems no matter what. Poverty and extreme wealth are both things that are unfortunate in my opinion. Perhaps one day I'll grow old and live a simple life without these extremes. Either way the film touched me.

Archived