virgins and pap smears!?

People say everyone 16 and older have to get it done. But when I went to a gynecologist for birth control to help my complexion (I was not sexually active), I absolutely refused to have the test done. I couldn't lose my virginity to a speculum! (ok I wanted a penis to be the first thing there) That thing is huge too. I feel it even now that I am sexually active. So uh it's your decision but I would never do it if I wasn't sexually active.

I don't know many details ... but as a sidelight ... I hear there is a new vaccination against the papilloma virus. Have you looked into that?

In answer to your question ... the American Cancer Society recommends getting a pap test "3 years after vaginal intercourse, no later than age 21" so you should be OK without one unless you are over 21.

Zack.

The usual rule is you need to have your first pap done at 18 years of age unless you are sexually active (Any form of sexual activity) and if thats the case as soon as you become sexually active.

Oh and StarLily, even if you had a pap done before you were sexually active you CANT lose your virginity to a metal object.

Losing virginity = Involves Sexual Activity and a Pap smear is the fartherest thing from sexual in my opinion.

Oh and StarLily, even if you had a pap done before you were sexually active you CANT lose your virginity to a metal object.

I know but uh.. I would have bled for sure. I was afraid to put anything there, even a tampon. It's hard to relax if you haven't had sex first.

They'll use their finger to feel around, but they don't break your hymen. Just tell them before hand.

So ya, in that case it's not a pap smear, they just check you out.

They check you down there, they don't stick anything in.

However, you really have to tell them, because I had a friend who told me that she had a full on papsmear when she was a virgin, which I found to be kind of disturbing.....they aren't supposed to do that.

Yes, Broken ... that's why as a virgin you don't need to go through that ... unless you are over 21. My point was that suggesting you need a pap test because you have had "any kind of sexual activity" was just wrong!!! The American Cancer Society says that it is unnecessary unless you are not a virgin ... meaning having vaginal intercourse with a penis.

Pap Smears check for sists and such also...hence the reason they put their fingers in and mash around. They also do a breast exam while you're there. It's not just for STD's.

Also, any expert who says that you can not get a STD from anal sex as well is not an expert in opinion (this statement is based on what Zackinlaw posted).

If you are not sexually active at all (vaginal or anal) you should be ok without one until you are 18, considering it is very rare to get ovarian sists before then. Even if you are not sexually active then you should still get one and continue to get them once a year.

Well, WhiteForest, what I said was based on her specific question ... should I get a pap test. Of course, if she is in involved in sexual activities that put her at risk for STDs then she should be tested for STDs, but it seems like a pap test is not part of that unless vaginal intercourse is involved!!!

Exactly Whiteforest and that was my point, HPV especially is a virus that can be transmitted by even being fingered. So IMO, and every doctor i've ever came into contact with sexual activity involves anything to do with the contact of genitals. Please go by more sources than just the ACS because that is just wrong to me!

Well, WhiteForest, what I said was based on her specific question ... should I get a pap test. Of course, if she is in involved in sexual activities that put her at risk for STDs then she should be tested for STDs, but it seems like a pap test is not part of that unless vaginal intercourse is involved!!!

Pap smears are done for more than just STD's

Why is everybody so h*ll bent on having Broken get a test she doesn't need???

I think its settled she needs to ask her Gyno, every doctor is different so instead of arguing and trying to downplay everyone elses information she just needs to make a simple phone call to her doctors office.

And being a woman makes you a medical expert on women's health????

Never said that, But I think I would just know alittle bit from what I have been told by MANY doctors. As said a many posts back, all she needs to do is call her doctor simple as that. Each Doctor is different!

OK, OK peace, mythical ... I agree that an extra test is much better than skipping one that is needed. But she is uncomfortable as a virgin with being examined with a speculum. We agree on one thing ... she should get her advice from her gynecologist, not from us.

Zack.

Archived