Kicking Problems

I recently had undergo a martial art training. The kicks are required to be above the belt and some are really hard for me. So i think my my leg lacks power and i always thought my legs were weak. I was just wondering if there's any methods to improve the quality of my kicks and strengthen my legs. Advises are much appreciated.

Well I don't really think a site about romance and relationships is the place to ask about physical health problems but I suppose while I'm here replying to it I might aswell share my thoughts..

Ok, so you think your legs may be on the weak side. How about some walking? - Nothing to strenuous, but just say a walk to and from the local shop everyday or something?

I used to cycle everywhere and I did used to feel that my legs were quite strong. Now I've left the cycling for a couple of years I really doubt that I could cycle as far as the end of the street I live in.

Key things to remember:

Don't strain yourself - You only have one heart and if you scr*w that up..

Take things at a pace that suits YOU - not what someone else says you should be able to do. If you feel tired, stop - simple as that.

Two things you must do, I have some experience here so this should help.

1) Stretch, keep doing splits. It does not matter how strong your muscles if they are too tight.

2) Do kicking exercices, basically lift and kick as fast as you can. Don't worry so much about power, work more on speed. This will build your gluteus minimus and some other muscles I can't remember the names of. You should feel the burn about where you leg meets your hips, typically on mid to outer sides of your hips. This should build the muscle to help lift the leg. Just lift your knees towards your chest if kicking out becomes too difficult.

Remember to take it at your own pace though, last thing you want to do is injur yourself.

I have a black belt in Taekwon-Do so maybe I can help a bit. Strengthening your legs for martials arts training is a two-fold process. The first thing you do is work on stretching your legs. When you're stretching, think of your muscles as elastic bands...make sure you stretch and hold but don't stretch to far too fast. Also, use proper breathing, that is to say you should breathe out as you stretch down.

The second aspect is just practise. If you can't kick too high then don't try to kick too high to start with. First thing is to never sacrifice technique, don't just rush kicks because you want to feel like you're kicking high, make sure you've got the proper technique when you do it. The best way I think is you could do the kick slower, and hold your leg out for a few seconds, then bring it back...and repeat.

That's my two cents.

Bill

I suggest taking up swiming, along with stretching. Swiming is useful because it resists ever movement, and will build up smaller sablizer muscels. Whatever you do, don't overdo it, but make sure that you keep it constant. (In other words, don't be like me and quit).