"it was good speaking again, bye"

Vicissim

Of course i'm reading too much into this, but that's what the forum is for, for me to have my little brain attack of overthinking about a sentence and for everyone to say "don't read so much into it". I wasn't able to talk to my partner for 5 days, just 5 days, we managed to speak to each other today and it was very, very stilted. We didn't bounce conversationally like we used to, in fact it was slightly awkward. I wouldn't find it that odd if we hadn't of been close friends before becoming partners [close friends for 3 years, partners for 2 months], so when it was ended with

"it was good speaking again, bye".

I was left in a bit of a tiz. Now me being the stressy, overthinking individual in this relationship I sit there afterwards and think "what does that mean?". I'm not used to our conversations ending like that,i'm pretty sure if we'd of been speaking on the phone I wouldn't be stressing so much because I would've heard the tone, but this was over an internet messenger so that option was pretty much removed. It was just a bit of an "oh" moment when that was sent and he signed off almost immediately afterwards. Of course it could, and is most likely, just meant as it reads. It was good speaking again, bye. He initiated the conversation whilst he was waiting for a friend of his to come so they could go do "manly bonding things", but I still feel as if it's the sort of thing you say to someone you know, but isn't a friend, and as I said i'm not used to that sort of ending to our conversations, i'm not used to having to make an effort to have a conversation with him. The next time we can talk [hopefully over the phone] i'll be asking him about the situation, but in the mean time let's throw it open to the forum.

I'm also aware of how teenage dramaish this sounds, which makes me all the more ashamed of the fact I should be past this stage seeing as i'm in my twenties

The problem is that you were "friends" before you were lovers - while that all sounds "great" - the reality is that you two were used to a detached, non-intertwined involvement dynamic for years, before allowing the "horizontal mambo" to be included the activities on the agenda.

YOu might talk about whether you're FWB...or youo're truly working on an intertwined, comingled committed relationship...with friendship as a base.

But he's most likely always going to address and involve with you outside of the bedroom in a more "friendship" dynamic than as a lover.

He didn't pursue your attention, he didn't have to impress and please you, woo and court for your favor...he was your pal, yur buddy, your friend - that has become your lover.

And what comes first as a dynamic, usually remains.

If he was into that love, mush, romance, courting, dating thing - he'd have been doing it with other women while you were friends. He's not into have to dating women maybe...he's just into falling into a "relationship groove"....where sex becomes a part of the friendship - and you see if there is enough commonality in intertwined element to remain in a partnership.

Officially?

8 weeks. Hence why i'm not really worried about the actual romance side fading, it was always something that was likely to happen seeing as we've been friends for years. I'm just not used to that sort of end to a conversation, whether it be when we were friends or dating.

^^

Does everything have to be some dramatic FWB situation that needs to be nipped in the bud?

Vicissim, what exactly are you worried about? Are you worried that he's mad at you because you haven't talked to him in five days or that he's been avoiding you for five days?

Archived