Social interactions in the workplace

My internship with the company I've interned for since January of 2006 told me today that my internship is done since i've reached the part-time/intern status limit. They said they'd love to talk about future full-time opportunities once I graduate.

For those of you who have done internships and then gone on to a different company, or who have worked at several different places for some time, how has the social life varied in each place? In other words, have you felt more comfortable/more chemistry with people at one place more than the other? And why do you think that's the case? Is it because one place dealt with older people as opposed to younger ones or vice-versa? I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Since this internship is ending I have to find another one now and it's like starting all over again. I'm going to have to meet new people and I'm hoping I'll have good chemistry with the people I meet at this new place.

Looking forward to your comments.

social interactions is a important aspect in chosing where you work, you spend half your waking time at work, so you might aswell enjoy it, do something you enjoy and enjoy the company of your colleagues.

you getting allong with the colleagues is also a big pluss in the bosses eyes as you'll be seen as a real team player etc.

when getting a job it's not just them interviewing you, but also you evaluating them. internships privide a great insight into their work ethics and environment so you know what you're getitng into.

There are certainly differences, but I don't know that they are produced from any physical characteristics of your co-workers.

My example story: At my previous job, I worked the front desk at a busy insurance company downtown. Those who worked there varied greatly in age, position in life, hobbies, lifestyles... you name it! One would think that I would have associated best with those most like myself (young, single, childless... those who would want to go to the bar for a drink afterwards!) Nope, my best friend there was a woman my mother's age who was married with children my age!!! (BTW, we enjoyed dessert after work!) Our personalities just matched best!

So in short, social environment is important, as AussieSuomissa has pointed out. But it's difficult to determine if it's a match for you just by noting characteristics. I recommend trying to get a "feel" for the company. I arrive at interviews a bit early in the hopes that I can walk around somewhat. If this is possible, I try to observe such things as do I see people mingling and chatting. Are they gossiping or just being social? What's my gut feeling? In the very least, pay attention to what goes on when you are sitting and waiting for the individual to interview you. People will come and go, so try to observe things. Pay attention to the adminstrator (the "gate keeper") and the sort of ways that she/he interacts with others. It's not an exact science, but if I leave the place sensing a lot of tension between employees, that may not be a good sign.

Good luck!