Why do (some) people take things so personally?

cpc28655

As anyone who has read my post knows, I am going through a divorce that has taken over a year and resembles a very bitter game of chess (except I enjoy chess). I have noticed a disturbing patter of behavior, and it puzzles me. As with any other average guy, the chance to date, or be fixed up has presented itself. In these few cases, my response has been to the effect of, "No thank you. I'm just not ready to get back out there yet." This usually gets a negative response, once being told to go "F" myself, all women aren't like the ex.

I never said they were like the ex, only that I wasn't ready yet. Why on earth do people take things so personally? Am I missing something here?

I think when people take things so personally, it really has nothing to do with you, its a reflection of whats going on inside of them. Mabey they are insecure or hurting, who knows. But I dont think theres anything wrong with what your saying. Its good your being honest. When the right girl comes along, she will appreciate that.

Ironicly enough, I actually like a lady that will tell me to go "F" myself WHEN I'M WRONG (and I will be, I'm only human).

It would be nice if they wore lables that said "CAN handle the truth", or "CANNOT handle the truth". That way I would know to lie to them if needed.

I think when people take things so personally, it really has nothing to do with you, its a reflection of whats going on inside of them. Mabey they are insecure or hurting, who knows. But I dont think theres anything wrong with what your saying. Its good your being honest. When the right girl comes along, she will appreciate that.

That's assuming that this divorce doesn't kill me before the right one comes along, lol.

They feel as if they're "helping" you (not that you NEED help, or anything). But they may falsely believe that you're lonely and need someone. They probably have good intentions, but don't understand that you really do want to be alone for a while.

If they're not understanding when you tell them that you truly want to be single/alone for a while, then forget 'em!

As anyone who has read my post knows, I am going through a divorce that has taken over a year and resembles a very bitter game of chess (except I enjoy chess). I have noticed a disturbing patter of behavior, and it puzzles me. As with any other average guy, the chance to date, or be fixed up has presented itself. In these few cases, my response has been to the effect of, "No thank you. I'm just not ready to get back out there yet." This usually gets a negative response, once being told to go "F" myself, all women aren't like the ex.

I never said they were like the ex, only that I wasn't ready yet. Why on earth do people take things so personally? Am I missing something here?

When people take things that personally, they usually have something else going on inside them, it's never about you. Write em off and move on.