Controversy over a famous saying

I always heard that 'Only the good die young' but I think that if it were true, that lonely men die young, it would be about men who are in the latter years of life, who have lost their wives along with their will to live, who die from a broken heart, rather than someone who is still in their teens or twenties who are just starting out on their adult life.

Actually, stats show that married men live longer than unmarried/single men. Though the reverse is true for women! But the average is still in elderly ages, not young ones.

After their spouse's death, men tend to also live less time than a woman in the same position.

I would say that if you were UNHAPPILY married and stressed though & distant from your partner, this might not have the same results....I believe the reason that they live longer is that support, someone to watch out for them if they are sick/declining health and well, companionship/relationships tend to keep you more alert, take better care of yourself, etc

You can be "lonely" even if you do have a partner; that is why you should not settle for someone not compatible, or whom cannot provide what you also need in a relationship/partner, just to have someone.

On the reverse side, you can be single and have a VERY full, loving life, with extended family & friends and not feel lonely in that way.