Umm.... hockey player???????????

nona021

Hey all,

This is a weird post, and some (or most) of you may shake your head and roll your eyes as soon as you see the title, but bear with me.

I've recently met a guy, really nice guy, a little shy and we get along really well, things were going great. It's kind of a non issue since he will have to move away in a matter of days.... just over a week.

Anyway, despite the fact that we connect really well and have a good thing going, nothing can happen because he has to go away to play hockey. Yep, a hockey player. He was up front with me from the start, and told me right away that I should know he had to leave in a month.

I know all the rumors and stereotypes etc etc. I'm always pretted guarded and excessively careful when it comes to getting involved with guys, and avoid 'players' like the plague.

My question- how many of you out there believe that a guy can be a hockey player and a good guy?

Where I'm from there are alot of hockey players and an equal amount of people who've given me cr~p for getting involved with one, even though he seems trustworthy etc. Could he be an exception to the rule (stereotype) or did I finally get fooled. Stupid questions, I know, but response v. much appreciated.

Yah he's genuine! If he was only after a bit of action there is no way he would have told you from the start that he was leaving in a month. He risked not having a chance with you by doing that and I think that should speak for itself.

It is a real pity that he is leaving though and I know its gonna hurt you a bit but think ofthe good rather than the bad. It will hurt at first but once you're over it you just smile

Anyway, cherish the time you have left... We're all here for you if you get upset once he's gone.

• 1 year later...

I go to a school where hockey is the big sport, and the hockey players are notorious for hooking up with lots of girls. My roommate's boyfriend is a hockey player, and had a reputation, but he is extremely faithful to her, and has been for almost a year now. Also, when I first got here I was really depressed and looking for a random hookup to validate myself (that is another story entirely). I was introduced to a hockey players that night and one in particular took interest in me. I wound up going back to his place, fully expecting to be taken advantage of, and instead he was respectful. I know that he wanted to, but he didn't feel that i was completely comfortable with it. And the next weekend I was kind of mean to him because I thought his unwillingness to hook up with me was a reflection on my inadequacies. But, thinking back, he may have been genuinely interested, and I missed out on a great guy because I was bought into the stereotype.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Hockeyboy, I was wondering when you'd show up here!!

It's all good doc, don't take it personally. You are different, I've learned enough from your posts to say that with confidence.

Don't stereotype, it's not always on target. Sometimes it is, but what might you miss from doing it? I missed out on a great girl because I was scared what people would say/ do because she was a different color. Maybe I'll find her again.........Hmmm, maybe I will!!