Wright or Wrong...

I would just like to put this question forward and get peoples veiws and opinions on the following question

How is palative care more acceptable over euthenasia?

for those of you that dont know palative care is, it is when they put a drip in to keep a person hydrated and give them morphine and not feed them basically til they starve to death...

We have just put my Granddad on palative care and I cant comprehend how it is seen as being a more appropriate method of putting some to there death... So I want your view on it.. Thanks

cass

This is such a sensitive issue...

But I do see your point... I wasn't really sure what Palative care was before but it doesn't sound too caring to me. I don't think I would wish that on anyone.

Guess it goes to show that everyone should have a good will, and give power of attorney to someone who can prevent this sort of thing from happening to their loved ones..

Love to you and your family during this sad time...

Note the ambiguity of the term palliative: most oncologists use the word to mean any treatment that's not curative; curative means almost certain to eliminate the disease indefinitely. Thus a treatment that lets a patient die in comfort rather than in pain, without changing the term of life, is palliative. And a treatment that lets a patient live ten years longer is also palliative. A few doctors have attempted to eliminate this ambiguity by switching from a bi-modal to a tri-modal classification: a treatment of a terminal disease is curative (eliminates the disease) or therapeutic (extends life) or palliative (provides comfort).

My own grandfather was on Palliative care until he died, and while it was painful and dificult, I agree with the definition in that quote - better to go peacefully than in pain.

I had to make that decision... with my own dad. I promised him I'd be there and hold his hand. He held on a lot longer than the Dr's predicted. His WILL was stronger than his vital organs. I think there are many doctors that would agree there may be a better way... I could see it in their eyes as they walked in "DAILY" and saw me sitting there with him.

I agree... there should be a more dignified way to depart.

Hold his hand...talk to him.. and remember his life. Celebrate his life, celebrate who he is... and the legacy he left behind.

My experience with my dad, although painful was a GIFT. I've seen a baby come into this world and taken its first breath.. absolutely beautiful. And I've seen a man leave this world and expell his last breath.. the ease of letting go... also beautiful. Hard to explain... but I found joy in him being able to let go and move on. The circle of life. A gift.

Peace be with you.. love and light. Be strong, be brave...take heart.

Well my opinion is that it's not the way to go. I don't like either choice.

My feeling is that medical care can and probably should be withheld in circumstances of great suffering. But food and water should not be withheld, as that is, to my mind, a slow form of euthanasia. I don't believe it is our place to end life, only to make it as liveable as possible.

I would recommend continuing the painkillers as needed but keeping his nourishment up until his condition determines the moment of passing. Alleviate his suffering as best as possible and let nature run its course.

That's my opinion.