Poetry.com scam - don't use them whatsoever!

volution

I just want to let you fellow poem meisters know about link removed, and the scam that it is...

They claim to offer big prizes and rewards to people who submit poems. You are encouraged to submit a poem for free (most genuine poetry competitions have an entry fee of between $5-$25 - which pays for the REAL prizes) that is a maxmium of 20 lines. If that doesn't stifle creativity then I don't know what does!

Every poem that is submitted will be accepted, no matter how ridiculous.

It is a shame that they catch out so many genuine poets, conning them into sending off a large sum to get a book in which their poem has been published. ($60+)

If you don't believe me, look at this poem that was 'selected for publication because of it's unique perspective and your artistic vision':

link removed

In addition, they 'invite' you to their 'awards ceremony' where you pay to 'win' your prizes. They do everything to try and get as much money as they can out of you.

Since link removed is the most typed-in website for people thinking about Poetry, they catch thousands of people out.

I did sumbit a poem some years ago to them before I knew they were a scam. But now I know better. And I feel sorry for all those unsuspecting individuals that get caught out.

There ARE genuine poetry competitions out there - there's a good magazine in the US called "Poets and Writers" which has a list of real ones:

link removed

Here are some links on the link removed scam:

link removed

link removed

link removed

There actually had a thing about it on dateline or something few years back. They had a whole class of 1st grades and K's write a poem. ALL of them were "published" because of they excellence. I'm not saying 1'st graders cant write poems, but most were "they cow jumped on the hill" and so on. its sad, so many people are getting scammed by them.

• 2 weeks later...