What's the proper response?

I think I know the answer to this question, but I'd like to hear some opinions--especially from guys. I've been dating this guy for awhile. He called earlier in the week to make plans for us to go out tonight. We left the activity kind of opened ended, but it was definitely a 'save the date' kind of thing.

Anyway, fast forward to tonight. I hear through the grapevine that a bunch of his friends are going out to a bar. One of the guys in the group asks me to go. I decline, 'cause I've already made plans with the guy. Guy goes to the bar, though, then calls to ask where I am, tells me he'll call me later (yeah right), and proceeds to get with everybody. Am I weird to be pissed off about this? Should I have assumed 'let's go out tonight' to mean, you can hang out and watch me get drunk with my friends? I try to be the cool chick in these situations, but my feelings are a little hurt. Advice? Guys, would you ever do something like this to a girl you were at all interested in? Is this just a situation where we got our wires crossed, or is he an inconsiderate