Asking someone out?

I'm currently at a conference, and here I've met a woman whom I found attractive. In the past few days, we've chatted here and there, nothing too substantial. I can't really tell whether she's interested in me, but she seems to enjoy our chats and often looks over her shoulder at me when she knows I'm nearby but not talking to her.

Anyway, after a talk, I asked her whether she'd be interested in going somewhere to get something to drink later. At first, she said something about having to work, and then she answered me with, "Sure, why not?"

She looked a bit awkward when I asked her out.

So here are my questions:

1) When you ask someone (of the opposite sex) if they'd want to go out to get something to drink, is it understood that it is a date?

2) We didn't make any concrete plans. Should I approach her later during the day to make things concrete, or just go with the flow?

And finally,

3) Does it sound like I'm wasting my time?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Fire,

Seems like this is a running issue with you. I went back and read a few of your posts and it seems to come down to one thing. Confidence. In order for someone to be receptive to you it is imperative you show them confidence. If you read too much or not enough into something you will always be in this state.

Take the "sure why not" as just that. She is going to go to drinks. Just enjoy the company of this person and have fun.

You need to quit wondering whether or not she is interested before making your move. In fact, discard any thoughts that coincide with, "Is she interested?" because it doesn't mean squat. Your goal is to establish a date with her, that's it. Pursue that goal. Ask her out.

Now that you did that part, you should make sure you have a set date and time. When you leave it open ended then you make yourself have to "verify" which is like asking a second time.