break or breakup?

well my boyfriend and i were together for 7 months.. we did argue over some stupid things but who doesnt ever have an argument? anyways, he made me really mad the one day and i left and told him it was over. I instantly regretted it..we talked the next day and he decided that he needed some time to figure things out. he kept saying he wanted to talk to me like normal online and that he thinks it will better out relationship in the future. we said that we were not goin to see other people. he has im'ed me a few times and it seemed like quite a few of them were just false hope that he wanted to reconcile. it seems like recently he will instant message me if i dont talk to him every couple of days. I dont know what he is doing because he doesnt ever want to talk about the relationship.

An example of why i think he's playing mind games is.. if i put up an away msg that i am out looking for apartments or something.. then the next day he im'ed me and asked me where i was moving to.. He also keeps asking me if I was accepted to the law school here or not... Then he'll put up away msgs quoting songs like Mary J Blige Rainy Dayz...

he is out running around with his friends and drinking every night. i asked him if it was time that i just gave up on trying to fix it and he said he didnt know what to tell me.. soo what do i do? should i just start no contact and save myself from being heartbroken any further? i really want it to work because i do love him but i can't keep sitting here setting myself up for disappointment. I dont know if he is confused or if he just trying to keep me around as an option. It just seems like he's reading my away messages and stuff and then he'll ask me things about them but he doesnt want to try to be with me. I just need some advice on where to go from here...

I forgot to add that we haven't seen each other since April 6th.. haven't really had much of a real discussion since the sunday after that..aside from a hi whats up type of thing..

Hello, since he's not clear about his intentions it's better to ignore him, you should carry on with your life.

He does want to keep you around but I don't know if it's because he wants to have his options open, because he knows he'll get tired of the "fun" life he's currently having or because he believes you're going to wait for him whatever he decides to do.

You have tried to talk about the relationship, if he doesn't want to there's nothing else you can do.

What you can do is not follow his games, don't answer anything about your plans or life and don't use those things as your away messages, remove him from your IM's lists, do NC and just act as if he was gone.