Guys, if a girl said this to you . . .

If a girl said to you "If you ever want to go to a movie (or something)sometime let me know" what would you think?

Would you think "hey, this girl might be interested in me and would say yes if I asked her out" or would that not cross your mind?

Hey - lucky for you dude, I speak girl! Let me translate for you...what she actually means is:

"I want to go to a movie with you but am too shy to put myself out there and ask you so I'll put it on you to ask me. If you don't ask, I guess I'll know you're not interested."

If you were quoting her directly and she actually said, "...or something," that's a little harder to find a direct translation but I think it means something like,

"I said,"movie" just to give you an idea of something I would be willing to for sure do with you but if you have other ideas, I would be up for entertaining them as well. I would like to find something to do that requires you being there and us spending time together."

See, in girldom they speak in sublties and riddles...

yeh - see here's my attention to detail thing rearing its ugly head again.

Sorry daisy, I was paying more attention to the question than the author. I still believe the translation is pretty close to accurate though.

If did you say that to someone and he has not asked you to a movie, maybe he didn't get it or is too shy.

If you're thinking of using that, I suggest the more direct approach may work better and get you your answer faster.

I think you're making it plenty obvious you are interested! If he doesn't take you up on the offer, or at least try to set up some sort of plan within a few days or a week, he's either: taken, not interested, too shy, or completely and utterly clueless.

But the short answer is yes, I would think she is interested in a date...

What I would think versus what a lot of guys would think are two different things.

I would think she wanted a date, but I was not being forward enough so she was dropping a major hint.

A lot of guys would think she wanted to go out with them, but he would not know how to ask her on a date if it got to this point because he was probably oblivious to her advances.

Okay, I just saw your other post Daisy.

Yeah, he needs a kick in the behind. If I were to recommend anything to you, I would tell you to ask him something along the lines of "So, when are you going to ask me out on a date?" You might even let him know when you are free.

Or send him my way .... I'll point him in the right direction.

Poco I love you and your gems, but I disagree, this time. I do agree with Frisco however and in this case, I think a direct approach is best.

Being passive and putting it all on him again will land her right back where she is.

If you want a date and he didn't take your first very obvious attempt at a set up, complete with a suggestion for a movie, be even MORE direct and say, HEY, LET'S GO SEE A MOVIE TOMORROW.

A female friend of mine abides by the "three strikes" rule. You put yourself out there, make it clear you are doing so, and give the guy three chances to make things happen. If you feel like things aren't going anywhere after this time...he's history...

A bit black and white perhaps but there is some merit to it I think...

A female friend of mine abides by the "three strikes" rule. You put yourself out there, make it clear you are doing so, and give the guy three chances to make things happen. If you feel like things aren't going anywhere after this time...he's history...

A bit black and white perhaps but there is some merit to it I think...

Or - she could try making things happen herself and just ask the guy out.

Poco I love you and your gems, but I disagree, this time. I do agree with Frisco however and in this case, I think a direct approach is best.

Being passive and putting it all on him again will land her right back where she is.

If you want a date and he didn't take your first very obvious attempt at a set up, complete with a suggestion for a movie, be even MORE direct and say, HEY, LET'S GO SEE A MOVIE TOMORROW.

Well, the only reason why I said that was because this happened with a client of mine the other day, and guess what? They're going on a date tonight.

But who knows - if it's not her style, then such is life. Just a suggestion.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so it's been a few weeks and he hasn't said anything, so I'm going to have to be more direct. It does make me wonder if he's not interested, but as is so often said in these forums, you don't know if you don't ask.

So, any other suggestions on how to approach him since he's shy? Thanks.

• 1 month later...