Interesting Lawsuit....

link removed

A married man is suing eHarmony because they won't let him join. eHarmony is a dating site that only allows single people to join. If they are going through a divorce, like this man is, he must wait until the divorce is finalized.

I thought this was a very interesting story. I'm glad they aren't letting him join though!

I have to disagree.

I'm "divorced" but its not finalized until next month sometime, and I've been moving on with my life. I think its unfair to discriminate against someone who is getting divorced but not yet actually divorced. There is already enough stigma out there for people who are divorced, why add to it with discrimination?

In some US States, the finalization period is as long as a year!!!

If a person is going to lie and get involved with someone while still having the intention of being married, they will lie on the application regardless.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for posting the story though

I see where you are coming from.

it reminds me of a conversation I had with my godfather years ago. he told me that the second he proposed to his now wife, and she said yes, he considered them to be married, even though they hadn't had the ceremony and the legalities. (Which they eventually did.)

And then he told me that if they ever decied to end things, that they would just say, "ok, it's over". He said, "what business does the state government have in my marriage? it's over when I say it's over, not when the state says it's over!" (And by the way, they've been happily married for 42 years...)

So, yeah, if it's over, I see your point.

But for a site like eHarmony, that's dedicated to making matches that may lead to marriage, it's kind of difficult (at least for me), to start dating a man knowing that he is still married (even if it is in the eyes of the law).