I have fallen for my best friend, now what?

I have fallen for my best friend, I don't know if this is such a good Idea. We've been friends for well over 5 years and for quite a while I've been getting mixed signals, so I eventually confruted him on my feelings, he says he feels the same way and is looking for a relationship, I on the other hand for the longest time could only think of going out with him, but for some retarded reason I don't feel right about it at this time and point, but I like him a lot! I feel as though it would be really weird, since my parents and his parents are friends and you know how that whole thing goes and it might be kinda weird because he's younger than I am but not by much. I also don't want to screw up our relationship as really good friends. what should I do take him up on starting a relationship, or tell him not now maybe later and possibly lose my chance, or just tell him stay friends only and just put the thing to rest. Any advice is appericiated. Thanx

-Daisy-

You should definitely go for it. I mean if you both feel the same this could be the start of something good.

It's important to take things slow when you're starting up a relationship with a close friend, that way you can end it before things get too intimate. If you rush things only to find that not what you want it makes it very hard to get back into the friendship, especially if he doesn't feel the same way.

Hope this helps.

Good advice, I'd like to add that you need to consider his previous track record. Is he really ready for any close relationship, what about you? I'd would refrain form any form of sex, can you guys handle that. There's nothing to lose if are both honest about it. Take it slow and give it a shot. So start spending more time together, hold hands whatever. But ask yourself, will anything really be all that different. Dating a friend is actually best way to start off a relationship IMO. A close friend is borderline risky but no different so long as you guys are mature about it.

Girl, I know just what you're going through. I've got a good friend of mine that I've been crushin on for a couple of weeks now. Recently my best friend Pippin told me that he's been looking at me differently and she can definitely tell he likes me, too. So I'm tryin to get the courage to ask him the "what's goin on with us?" thing tomorrow. I'm glad your guy felt the same for you....I just hope it works out between me and Logan. Eep!

Hello Daisy,

Thank you for posting this issue and bring this under our attention. I am pleased to see how you guys get along so well. I understand that you like your friend very much and that he likes you the same way.

I would like to send you a little warning, though. A relationship with him might or might not work out, but you yourself said that you have doubts. This might mean that you will never completely 'trust' the situation as it is right now. He will pick up that signal and ask you for an explanation. You have to admit that you don't know what it might be. My question to you would be: wouldn't it be easier to stay friends for a little while longer and see how things develop, rather than hitting it off and find yourself getting in trouble with question you're not ready to answer yet?

I am not sure what you guys are trying to look for, but you already seem to be GREAT friends ... what else do you wish for right now? Make love? Ready for that?

I hope that this gives you some insight in a few issues that could arise. I am not saying that this will happen, but it might and you might take this into consideration. Naturally I wish you a bright future and good luck in any decision that you guys make and work for you

~ SwingFox ~

Thanks, SwingFox is right. What is necessarily going to be all that different? Unless you want to get real intimate, and that would be a bad move for any casual relationship IMO.

This is to Merry, I wouldn't ask "what's goin on with us?" that to me is just awkward, and sounds like somethings wrong. People move too fast. It's like an on/off switch when is comes to hooking-up, that's not my style. Merry, why not just start hanging out with him more as the friend he still is? Or can you not handle that? If you can't, I don't know if you two are ready.