Talking Jibberish

Sometimes when I talk to good friends of mine, I feel like I am usually the one sharing (i.e., funny) stories of mine while they are the ones listening (or pretending to listen...). For example, I was reminded of this today as I just got off the phone with my (highschool) bestfriend who I hadn't seen since Christmas (She goes to uni out of town). Anyway, we arranged to meet up tomorrow and we're both so excited, but when I got off the phone I just had a bad feeling in my stomach. It seems every time I talk on the phone I just talk jibberish. I made a joke out of it though saying something like, "I'm sorry that I am just making no sense of all, it's just all these random things come into my head and I try to tell you all at once...this is what happens when I haven't seen you since Christmas". She laughed, but then soon after we were talking about jeans and then I go into another random story about how I went to the mall and was trying to find jeans, and how it was a complete disastor...I think I was talking kinda fast too and laughing. (By the way, I usually laugh a lot on the phone or while telling stories to people.) And she's like, "Well I gotta run now--see you tomorrow. Bye." And I felt like the biggest idiot.

I know my friends think I'm funny and stuff, and obviously this is part of my personality--I'm usually a serious/quiet person, but when I'm around people I know really well or friends, I can get kindof hyper and laugh a lot, and become sarcastic. The friend I talked to on the phone has admitted before that she is not a phone-person, and when we are talking in person we have some crazy-good times (w/ lots of laughing)...

It's just I feel that maybe I should try to not sound so hyper (i.e., talk fast, laugh a lot) on the phone. It's not like I am crazy-hyper, but everytime this happens I always feel so stupid.

Any thoughts?

well...maybe you do ramble a bit?...but that's ok...at least youre funny about it. maybe try listening more...making an actual effort to bite your lip and listen. i dont know...i know i dont ramble...but if you think youre rambling and find LOTS of instances....heck...maybe you are hyper and just need to try to settle down some?

Cranberry, it sounds like you have a lot going on in your head all at once. That's not a bad thing! I would bet your friend cant wait to see you, so she can share your stories and share HER stories.

I agree with Ms Omaniac, in that you may need to concentrate on listening to the other person when they talk. This will take work and practice, and a very conscious effort on your part... You have stop and think about what the other person is saying, and NOT think about what you want to say next... Pick up on one or two things the other person has said and ask them questions about those things... This will help turn the focus away from you and toward them... Then, if there is a lull in convo, you can throw something out there and tell one of your crazy stories! ;-)

I am not sure exactly what the problem is, but maybe you feel disappointed that she is going to college and you aren't? So instead of dealing with the situation, you are going around it and talking about things that are indirectly involved...Sometimes it is better to be clear about our feelings rather than just filling in the air with talk.

sisterlynch, no I'm not disappointed that she is going to uni away...I am going to university right now but in my hometown. And even before that I used to sometimes ramble on on the phone. But thanks for trying to search for the core of the problem just in case there was one.

And thank-you to GettingOverIt and MsOmniac for the advise. I don't think I'm that bad, but I am going to make a conscious effort to catch myself rambling on in general and then cut it (my story) short.