Am I a Buffer .............would like some advice

Hello all,

Heres my story

I have real good (guy) friend who stood by me in difficult time. He has a girlfriend long distance! they have been going out for 4 year. he is real serious about her and says he values commitment above everything. He is planning to marry her soon. I respect him for all this.

Where do I fit in the picture?

He and I work in the same area. We are together all the time go out for lunch come and leave from work together. I feel he is the perfect guy for me. He takes care of me. But he considers me purely a friend. we talk about everything... but only as friends, you know what I mean.

Sometimes I feel he would like me, if only he did not have a gf.

Everybody from my office and his thinks we are going out. I got a little disturbed with this and tried to pull back. But some how I still am doing the same things...he talks me back into hanging out with him and I mmyself cant hold back.

But I just feel that once his gf comes I am going to be nowhere. I spoke to him about this and he assured me that he will not be able to spend as much time but he will still care about me the same.

I really dont understand how to handle this thing. I value his friendship and love to spend time with him. But on the other hand I feel like I just a fall back or a buffer as they say.

Pls tell me am I wrong about this. Should I withdraw !

You are a friend - and that is a good thing only if you consider him nothing more than your friend. If you are interested in him romantically then you have to consider what is in your best interests - which may be to back off and find someone who is romantically interested.