Should I take this job or just let it go?

Qwerty55

I'd be curious to know what their turnover rate is. Any job with a high turnover rate is one to avoid!

I worked somewhere once where I was the most senior employee in less than two months! In the 8 months I lasted, the office went through 24 office staff employees and the staff consisted only of 5 people!

The turnover rate is HUGE. It's the same amount as buying a second-hand car.

Don't sign the contract. Don't take the job. If people can't clearly tell you what the job is, you're only going to fail.

I think I understand the quitting fee. The recruiter probably wants you to pay the commission they would have made if you stayed the 6 months, or the company wants to be paid the commission fee they paid to the recruiter.

The entire recruiting industry is known for just throwing people into jobs they may not be qualified for just to make their commissions. It's not worth it. And it's not worth it to put your life in danger. Pass on the job.

I was surprised the quitting fee was huge though. And yeah, it was annoying me they can't explain my job description well. Not even the manager/supervisor can explain it well. It was too brief and general. I was expecting they will write it on the contract but they didn't.

What country are you in? I'm just trying to figure out how dangerous it is. How common is it for employees to have to pay companies a huge fee to quit? Are you paying back the cost of training you? I would also be leery of taking a job where you don't really know what the job is. I give big credit to your job recruiters for coming up with so many interviews, but it sounds like another job where they're just desperate to put a warm body in a chair. I got hired by a company that outright lied about the job and I quit the next day after a lot of stress. I'm also wondering why a researcher job has to be 2pm-10pm. Are you sharing a desk with someone? And researching someone's investor profile is simply looking at the stocks and securities a person has invested in from their past trades and figuring out what they would want to invest in in the future. It's not really research.

But, I wouldn't take a job where I would have to pay a huge fine if I quit. At least not for an entry-level position. I would do it if I was coming in as a consultant or a manager, or if they were sending me to college. It's too risky for a young person.

I don't know her case but in my case I also need to pay a fee because I moved to another country and they payed me a long language course that is very expensive and many more things I needed to come here. Maybe the fee is related to her training too?

I know when you're newly graduated you need to suck up and take some jobs less desirable but I wouldn't take this one if I were you because of the dangers and mostly because of the lack of job description. It seems sketchy to me and it could backfire.

I don't know her case but in my case I also need to pay a fee because I moved to another country and they payed me a long language course that is very expensive and many more things I needed to come here. Maybe the fee is related to her training too?

According to the contract, it is related to my training AKA 6 month probationary period. I'm just surprised it's THAT MUCH considering the only material I will most likely use for that company is a laptop

I know when you're newly graduated you need to suck up and take some jobs less desirable but I wouldn't take this one if I were you because of the dangers and mostly because of the lack of job description. It seems sketchy to me and it could backfire.

I was already skeptical why can't they write my job description at the contract itself. I tried asking the recruiter about it and all he just said "you should've asked the manager/supervisor regarding to that" and even if I did ask the supervisor about that, he can't describe the job well. It was already a red flag to me to decline the offer.

I've never had a job description written on my offer letter, just a job title, compensation and work schedule.

HOWEVER...it's a red flag if the hiring manager wasn't willing to pull out the HR manual and provide you with a copy of the job description. I've always been able to get that.

Along with the high turnover...yeah, I'd take a pass.

BTW, some shady companies deliberately avoid giving you much information because they know if they did, no one would work for them. One of my kids got an interview with a company that said they were looking for "administrative assistants". Turns out, they wanted people to do door to door insurance sales. If they stated that in the job posting no one would apply, so they chose to deceive. A place I got assigned to through an agency described the position as "office manager", but they had me on the sales floor selling furniture. I quit and the agency called me, furious because they had to refund their finder's fee. And I told them they needed to get an accurate job description from the company, and that was THEIR fault, not mine. the agent sputtered and whined, but I wished her a good day and hung up.

So, I'd focus on the upcoming interviews and give this one a pass.

I've never had a job description written on my offer letter, just a job title, compensation and work schedule.

HOWEVER...it's a red flag if the hiring manager wasn't willing to pull out the HR manual and provide you with a copy of the job description. I've always been able to get that.

Along with the high turnover...yeah, I'd take a pass.

BTW, some shady companies deliberately avoid giving you much information because they know if they did, no one would work for them. One of my kids got an interview with a company that said they were looking for "administrative assistants". Turns out, they wanted people to do door to door insurance sales. If they stated that in the job posting no one would apply, so they chose to deceive. A place I got assigned to through an agency described the position as "office manager", but they had me on the sales floor selling furniture. I quit and the agency called me, furious because they had to refund their finder's fee. And I told them they needed to get an accurate job description from the company, and that was THEIR fault, not mine. the agent sputtered and whined, but I wished her a good day and hung up.

So, I'd focus on the upcoming interviews and give this one a pass.

Thank you for the good advice! You are right, the company I applied can't even give an accurate job description. I remember the last company I resigned which was an insurance company. Their job hiring posts said they were looking for "customer care representative" and when I applied, it turns out it was far from that. I ended up as a pre-sales officer, calling and making appointments. However, to be fair, they did got the job descrption right and accurate when they made me read the job description on the contract.

With what you said, I will keep that in mind and make sure they can provide me an accurate job descrption.

I made up my mind and passed this one. I have three interviews coming up next week. I will really make sure this time to check on the job descrption before signing the contract.

I almost forgot to tell you guys this company is REALLY STRICT. I actually attended their orientation and they said no cellphones are allowed inside the office and we must leave them at our lockers at all times. Using a cellphone inside the office is already a BIG offense to them and you can get terminated for it.

Another thing is, 3 lates within a month is already a 1st degree offense to their company. And it will take 3-4 offenses to get you terminated from this company. I also heard there isn't a grace period so you really have to be on time. I do wanna know is it normal for a company to be that strict? I don't mind working in a company like that strict although I was surprised it had too many rules.

I might also add this info that last Friday I had a huge fever and I was really sick. The recruiter texted me asking me to go to their company for a job offer session and orientation. I told the recruiter I can't go because I was really sick and I wanted to go on Monday instead. The recruiter then told me "Hi can you drop by around 9am or 9:30am? Because we cannot on board you this coming monday you're not going to be able to finish the orientation and the medical exam" because they also have this rule I cannot start work unless I take my medical exam. I had to go despite my fever was burning and I was getting weak. I have to be honest I was a bit annoyed because not only they can't give me an accurate job description and they were forcing me to sign the contract right away, I just wished they considered my health first because I was burning up that day.

My company does not allow cell phones at work. We have to leave them in our lockers.

Why would you need your cell phone during work? During work you don't need to text, Instagram, Facebook, etc. If you want to do any of those things you can do them on break or lunch.

And the lowest tier workers do have a point system for attendance and for tardies. That is not unusual at all.

My company does not allow cell phones at work. We have to leave them in our lockers.

Why would you need your cell phone during work? During work you don't need to text, Instagram, Facebook, etc. If you want to do any of those things you can do them on break or lunch.

And the lowest tier workers do have a point system for attendance and for tardies. That is not unusual at all.

Okay so it's common then. Because I was kinda surprised it was strict but then again there's a good reason for that anyways. Employees will end up not doing their work if so.

Okay so it's common then. Because I was kinda surprised it was strict but then again there's a good reason for that anyways. Employees will end up not doing their work if so.

Exactly.

I do find it amusing how the young people go into an absolute panic when they're told they can't have their phones. They act like someone asked them to cut off an arm or something! But, as you know, when people have their phones with them they are staring at them. Constantly. Zero work would get done.

Exactly.

I do find it amusing how the young people go into an absolute panic when they're told they can't have their phones. They act like someone asked them to cut off an arm or something! But, as you know, when people have their phones with them they are staring at them. Constantly. Zero work would get done.

The insurance company I resigned don't have that certain rule because we really have to use our cellphones for work purposes. However, even if we were allowed to use our phones for facebook or twitter, I barely had time to use it when I was still there. I was always focused on my work so yeah, it's better off to keep it in a locker or at least a locked desk closet if there are companies who don't need cellphones for work.

Archived