modeling...

Heh. I've decided, despite all my issues that I will be a model eventually. I'm getting in better shape, and on medicine to get my skin all the way cleared up...I've got a couple ads out of magazines, but can anyone give me some ideas as far as places to send pictures to etc.

Empty

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend you take modelling lessons through a REPUTABLE agency, also look into gaining confidence through acting lessons, voice lessons etc...all these will actually help you as a model as they will make you more balanced, confident as well as help you stand out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

I am a semi professional photographer and I can tell you that a good model is hard to come by.

Personally, when I hire a model, I look for 3 things:

1) An excellent outgoing personality, with a good attitude towards their work

2) Someone who isnt shy in front of my camera- if a model is uncomfortable, it shows on photos

3) Someone with the ability to slap their make up on, whack on an outfit and do their hair within 10 minutes and look fantastic

Looks in general arent too important. I have worked with some stunning models in the past, who have had hang ups about their appearance, but Ive also worked with more plain models who have let their personalities shine through. Those plainer girls (and boys) have been the subject of some of the best photos in my portfolio.

Trust me, confidence problems and hang ups about self image show on photos!

My advice to you is, yes, exercise, yes, take care of your skin, but do those things for yourself to build your confidence and feel good within.

As for getting yourself noticed, find yourself a good photographer who is prepared to help you establish a portfolio (some of my models work for me for free in exchange for some photographs)

Be prepared to do whatever your photographer asks, and look for one who does something a little out of the norm, maybe someone who will use a lot of unusual clothing, make up and props. This shows initiative and creativity and will give you a good range of photos for your portfolio. A model should be as creative with his/her poses as the photographer is with their camera. I like to see a range of work in a models portfolio- from extreme fashion shots to bare faced portraits.

Although a competetive industry, looks arent necessarily the key to being a good model. Photographers want confident people they can relate to and work with with relative ease. We dont want to be directing the model throughout the shoot either, we would rather have someone who is prepared to use a bit of initiative in their modelling work. Its hard work, but worth it for that perfect shot and the satifsaction of the person shooting the images.

Dont be afraid to let that personality come out, or make a fool of yourself. These are often the key aspects of fantastic photos.

So my advice- find two or three reputable photographers (freelance ones are usually more open to suggestions) offer to work in exchange for copies of the photos and show em what you got! Start at the bottom and work your way up! A good photographer will offer you help and advice, and not take advantage of your "freebies" If you feel that after a while, you deserve to be paid- say so!

remember, most photos are retouched anyway- the images you see in magazines have been airbrushed, recoloured, you name it, it can be done. The most important thing is your personality and the attitude you take towards the work you are doing.

If you need any more advice, please feel free to PM me.

Best of Luck

xx