One Year Ahead, so a bit nervous

Hey guys,

I am 15 years old and a freshman in high school (though the year is quickly coming to a close ). The past few weeks I have noticed this great looking gal who sits down the row from where my friends and I usually sit at lunch. I found out she is a sophomore from some of the guys on my track team. She also is on the track team, but is a sprinter while I am a long distance runner. I really want to talk to her and stuff, but it just seems awkward, as I am a year younger. Usually (at my age I mean) the guy is either older or the same age as the girl. Any comments on this?

I am also relatively shy when first meeting people, though I can't shut up once I get to know someone. Any ideas on how I should approach her to talk to her? I have been reading some other threads and have gathered a few tips (eye contact, do not mumble [given I guess etc..). Any other tips for me? Thanks a lot guys/gals!

well man, all i can say is sometimes you have to take a chance. You could be missing out on something really great. From my experience if you don't learn to talk to older wemon at an early age you never will. Go up and talk to her, you have nothing to lose.

I agree, if you see a chance then dont hesitate to grab it! If you are worried about what to say then maybe ask her a question about sprinting. If she is receptive then if should be fairly easy to hold a conversation. One tip i must give you is to always have a few backup questions in case the conversation goes dry, there is nothing worse than one of those "awkward silences"!

Good luck

I think I will give it a try on Monday at school. Do you suggest I try and get her alone or talk to her infront of her friends? I would think alone would be better, but perhaps I am wrong Thanks for replying guys.

BTW, if she asks what I have in mind to do, do you guys think a baseball game or a movie is better? My dad's office has season tickets to the SF Giants, but we are pretty much allowed to use them whenever we want. Plus, at a baseball game we can talk during the game and stuff...seems like a good idea to me...unless she hates baseball

Definitely talk to her alone, if you cant get her alone then when she is with friends just ask if you can speak to her aside for a few seconds.

She is on the track team so i would say go with the baseball idea, it shows that you have put thought into what you would like to do. However, if you have doubts thats he wil like baseball then give her a choice between baseball or a movie.