should i ask her out?

ok everyone this is the situation

a couple of months ago my mate introduced me to this girl who was his best mate. He asked her out and she said no but they remained best friends Last few weeks they have been arguing quite a bit about a guy who asked her out who she wanted to go out with but she wanted to know how my mate felt before she gave him an answer. He wasnt happy but said do what you want, she tehn started asking me for advice and i said do what you want to do, dont worry about him. Then i started to like her and she kept asking me for advice, we would only talk about my mate or this other guy hardly anything else and when i asked her if she wanted to do anything at the weekend to take her mind off things she didnt reply.

Then she told me that she and this guy agreed that they should just be friends and get to know each other better, but he left her a message on her fone saying he is scared of losing her, she sent a message back saying if you want something to happen then its up to you coz i still like you. this happened a few days ago but he hasnt replied, i said oh well its his loss there is plenty more guys out there.

I have liked her for a couple of weeks and yesterday my mate started going out with another girl. Everytime i have said something like, i would love to be with a girl like you she has changed the subject, when i asked her out she didnt reply but everytime i see her she pokes her tongue out and she is quite cheeky.

She said se values my opinion on things and she also said she is gonna forget about this other guy

what should i do? ask her out? be her friend? just forget about it?

help

p.s its quite a long and complicated thing and if i hear anything else i will let you know

thanks

my mate is going out with another girl now tho. I really really liked her before he started going out with this other girl, but i dont think he is going to be a problem if i do ask her out

its just i cant see me and her happening, i would ask her out if i thought something would happen but i get the impression that she is just my friend as she likes asking me for advice.

Is there anyway i can make her see me as more than just a friend? are there any techniques or things i should do that would make her more attracted to me?

basically how do i get out of the just friends stage without ruining our friendship?