Reducing fat whilst gaining muscle mass.

Hey.

I need some advice and suggestions on this. I used to be well built a couple years ago - good, fit looking body with healthy looking abs. (that was while I was 14-15) I then started to get a little lazy and have put on a little weight (as in fat). Now I have a bit of a stomach - not too much, but my abs aren't visible. I started working out a couple times a week to get back in shape a short while ago, and I also started boxing along with playing Ice Hockey, which should also help a little in reducing the fat.

I plan on going running a few times a week - which should also help.

Any other suggestions? I mean, I'm still rather young (17 years) but who doesn't want to feel and look awesome?!

if you guys have any advice I'd be greatful. I know eating the correct amount of stuff a day is important also, which is something I'm looking into at the moment.

thanks!

You're going to get a ton of different advice from everyone on this forum. Your diet is the MOST IMPORTANT thing in achieving the body that you want. There are many types of diets, people will swear by them. Do whatever works for you though. If you want abs, realize that they are made in the kitchen, not the gym. Having a "6-pack" is a result of low body fat - they will show when your body fat is below 6%, but of course this varies from person to person. I'm not by any means saying to not workout though. Going to the gym is also an essential part of achieving the body you desire. You can always look at Men's Health site for meal plans, among many other useful places on the internet.

Well,

Firstly, Id like to say that it's not possible to lose fat whilst building muscle.

Muscle can only be built if you have a calorific surplus- 1lb of muscle takes 3500 excess calories to create.

If you want to lose fat, you have to create a calorific defecit, one 1lb of fat takes is equivelant to around 2500 calories.

thereforeeee, the above contradicts itself.

Say your metabolism requires 3000 calories a day, if you consume 3500 calories everyday, and have a good workout routine, 1.5 grams of protein per lb of body weight- you will put on about 1lb of muscle a week. Any more than this would be fat.

If you wanted to lose fat, you would have to eat less calories than you burn. Simple really- it's not rocket science.

Abs (depending on their thickness) will become visible at around 12% bodyfat.

Well,

Firstly, Id like to say that it's not possible to lose fat whilst building muscle.

Actually you can lose fat while gaining muscle it will just take longer then if you were to cut then bulk.

link removed has a good forum to look into has good info on diets, training etc.