My Moms new relationship

My mom has a new bf who is around 20 years older then her...i dont have a problem with it as long as shes happy im happy...but when i'm about to go somewhere....shes like 'if anyone asks about me and jim dont say anything'....see...if i were in a relationship and was happy, i would tell anyone and not care what other people think....see..im not the one with the problem but i think it's my mom who has the problem with her bf being 20 years older then her...do you think by the way she doesn't want anyone to know, that she has a problem with going out with an older man?

I don't think she has a problem going out with an older man. She has a 17 year old daughter, I'd geuss she'd be 37-47ish. She's old enough not to be in a relationship she isn't comfortable with. So my best geuss is that she's trying to protect you. Maybe she is embarrased for you, and doesn't understand that your feeling is 'if she's happy so are you.' So I'd sit down and tell her something like "mom, i just wanted you to know, I'm really glad your happy in your relationship, and if your happy, I'm happy"

Good luck.

Hi Pal,

Most probably ur mum just wans to be the person to break the ice to tell others than u. Reason could be seniority level. It is not appropriate for children to say such things, coz it sounds disgracing to them.

I give u an example, if u are going to get married and are going to invite those relatives in for dinner, some long distance relatives u have seen for only once when u are small, is it ur mum call them or u?

This would very much answer ur question. I hope.

I pretty much agree with these other posts, it really isn't your place to EXPLAIN anything when someone asks, so it is a form of your mother protecting you. It could be too that she's just not ready to announce to everyone about her and her new beau, sometimes in new relationships, it takes time to get used to that you have a significant other now, and break the news to folks...

I wouldn't look at it that she's embarrassed. I'm 24 and my BF is 44, and I'd NEVER be embarrassed to admit to our relationship. At first it we had to break it lightly BECAUSE of the gap, but I underestimated everything and it turned out fine. If she's happy, its great that you have such an open mind to be happy for her..