How to Stop Cutting?

I've been cutting myself off and on for a few years. Not a lot, but recently my cutting has increased. I'm sick of my actions, and aware that they aren't going to solve any of my problems. I'm also tired of feeling ashamed of my scars the next day.

I know it is a problem and I want to stop.

Other than hiding all the sharp objects in the house -- and that isn't realistic since I'm 26, live alone, and need to cook for myself -- what are some tips from those who have stopped (or are in the process of stopping) on what worked for them????

Anything concrete would be helpful. It really has become like a drug now: when I feel really upset, I just grab a sharp object... So anything I can do to head myself off at the pass would be very appreciated.

Thanks guys for your help!

why not put tape arround your writs? like medical tape? but loosely, so you can take it off (not to cut yourself!!!) putting the tape arround your writs will remind you not to do it, every time you turn over your wrist and have a sharp object in the other hand. and if it comes intinctavly...like if you do it w/o thought, or if you are drunk or tired, the tape will be a barrier between the sharp object and your skin. (but take the tape off when you sleep!!! air helps cuts heal!!! and when you can look at a perfictly intact wrist you can smile! pm if you want

Okay in my opinion, the best way to stop cutting it to have elastic bands round your wrists and whenever you feel the need for pain ping them. It really helps... It helped me Just watch the red marks appear and imagine you have cut yourself, and know that they will fade in a short time.

Hope that helps...

Hi

I'm 38 and have been self harming since the age of 8. My last episode of cutting was on Sunday, and I have been to hospital six times in the past three weeks. Like yourself my cutting has increased in frequency. I have alkso started to go in deeper and deeper each time which is kinda scary.

I went for almost five years with no compulsions, then all of a sudden it loomed and I welcomed it as you would an old friend.

I can totally sympathise with what you say. At the time, cutting feels like the answer. I have very low self esteem and, frankly, dislike myself most of the time.

I say avoid the triggers. Talking about cutting - the feelings you get while you do it etc - can be a trigger. Alcohol doesn't help. Mulling over things that have upset you instead of dealing with them at the time. These are the kind of things that trigger an episode in me. At least I am able to recognise them. It's trying to transform the compulsion "must cut" into "don't cut" that I have an issue with.

We all have our coping mechanisms. Cutting is not that unusual. It is ultimately self-destructive. I too am ashamed that my arms and legs are cut to ribbons. I can never wear a tee-shirt and shorts again. I regret what I have done, but I am not yet at the stage where I can say I will never cut again.

Good luck - and if anyone out there has the answer...kindly share it with us!!

You should get a journal. I myself don't like talking to people about my issues. So I express everything in my journal. You should try it. I also started thinking that if I cut, it doesn't do anything at all(except hurt me). I havent cut since December and for me that is a very very very longtime( i used to cut with 4-5 cuts everyday). Try the journal and tell me how it works out.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem I'm still trying to control it though. I think it's something that takes a long time to really get over. I still haven't. there will still be that feeling for a while at least in my experience It comes back occasionally. I know for me when i really want to hurt i have this awful feeling kind of like your skin is crawling or like you need something but can't fix it. Even if i don't cave there's still that feeling of misury. My best advice would be to be nice to yourself. have patience it's to hard to think about never ever again feeling ok. So at the time just think about getting through one moment without caving in. It's even harder if you try to do it alone. I find that keeping my hands busy helps but if you can distract yourself as well it helps a lot. For example if you are drawing to keep your hands busy but continue dwelling on the fact that you still feel like you need to hurt yourself keeping your hands busy doesn't really help. I go for a drive and get lost in some music or watch a movie and keep my hands busy. You could try a kneeded eraser . And the best solution i've found if your desperate is squeezing an ice cube. Although only try this if nothing else worked. Getting your mind on something else is really key. Whatever you can do that lets your mind get lost and away from the idea of harming yourself. i also found some good sites with helpful hints.

There's one site that has a long list of alternatives that really helped me i can't find it at the moment but if i do i'll let u know. hope this helps if u need to talk i'm always here

try grabbing a red marker instead of a sharp object. draw lines where ever you want to cut, and if it gets really bad, hold an ice cube to the place you've drawn lines. there's no perminent damage that way, but it'll still cause a little bit of pain. i admire your effort to stop, and that you're able to reach out for the help. good luck, and believe in yourself!

~Scar

• 1 month later...

I'm not really the best person to respond but I'd just thought I'd say it is posible to stop. I've nearly managed my self. I collect swords, now that is dangerous for a self-harmer, my best friend does it to, and so does another, I find talking about it to them helps, we all sit round and think about it. I've been cut free for about a month now, nearly going back but managing to stop myself, I find that when you pick up the object, look at it first. Going cold turkey doesn't work, my friend, who I call my sister cause we're that close, tried by family stress got the better of her and she cut rings in full circles from her elbow to her finger tips... It is a addiction like fags and alchohol it's a chemical called... blast I forgot what it's called but it's released when your in pain, or that's the theory. I do it because I hate myself but that's unimportant. What is important is never give up blah blah pep talk ect. My Gf tried to run the guilt tri[p on me saying "Think off all the peopl eyou'll let down and leave behind" That f**ked me up and I want straight off and slices myself open in many places with a craft knife, anyhow try and find a friend or someone who does it aswell and just talk about it, it works for some people but not for others. It's your choice.

Considering i have been cutting since grade 8 and now im 19, i can fully say i understand. Its hard to "hide" things. Sometimes i feel like i need them even when i have quit. What i suggest is a Councler for one, talking about it. the tape idea sounds really good. Try red felt pen, draw on your arms and pretend its like cutting, It helped me. I am growing out of it though. I am getting so sick of cutting that i havent cut in 2 weeks.

i know you can quit, you just have to put your mind body soul into it

the elastic bands round the wrist is a good way to cope with it, whenever u want to cut urself just ping the bands, i really think u should seek professional advice though coz u obviously wnat to stop and all u need is help, i hope everything works out for you.

• 2 weeks later...

people have suggested some good ideas. i've cut for a while back now, on and off. i go to an adolescent psychiatric unit and the usual suggestions to help stop self harm is the ice cube (try dying them different colours, ie red), elastic bands, red pen.. they've all been mentioned previously. i'd add:

just try putting it off. my personal preference is telling myself that i can't be bothered, or that i'll do it later. that's not always easy when there are sharp objects to hand, i understand. but i succeed in months free of cutting best when i tell myself 'not today'. if i try to say to myself that i want to quit altogether, i find the urge to go back even greater.

good luck, with determination you'll make it. keep us posted on how it goes.

xx

• 2 weeks later...

I felt the same way when I used to hurt myself.. I would suggest hiring a body guard to slap you every time you try to cut yourself but since that is stupid I suggest getting a rubber band and flicking it when your about to hurt yourself.. it will take time though and the will power.. it's like trying to stop smoking

my friend once told me that when I feel the urge to cut I should take a piece of ice out of the freezer and put it on my arm instead. The feeling is sharp and while it doesnt really hurt, the feeling is similar to cutting. Maybe do that?

I think that's how she stopped.

I wouldnt know if it works, though. I havent tried it. Good luck

you're not alone, remember that. try your

best to stay strong and get through this, because i know you can. i've been

there. make sure you stay away from everything that can cut you. get rid

of it, throw it away. tell some people about this so that they can help you

too. stay away from anything that could trigger you. watch good movies,

write, read, listen to music, TALK TO SOMEONE, exercise, go for a walk, etc.

never be afraid to ask for help, because there are people out there that

can help. it's wonderful you want to talk to us, but there are other people

out there too i promise. you're going to be ok. if you do end up cutting,

remember, stay away from wrists and scary places like that.