Has anyone done long distance before?

Amp33

I've tried online dating on and off for years. I always looked at people nearby by because the long distance idea never appealed to me. While searching around online two months ago I came accross a man that I immediately felt attracted to and just felt like I needed to know him. Now two months later we are nearly in a relationship. Here's the catch. He lives in eastern USA and I live in western Canada. We have never met but have talked in nearly every other form of communication. Neither of us are online anymore, we both stopped talking to other people, and we often talk about our possible future together.

Now.. I'm really not interested in hearing things like "that is nuts it's never going to work." Im more interested in hearing "here's some ways to help make it work."

We are planning trips to meet to see how we are together in person and then going to take it from there. Any advice or tips would be muchly appreciated. Thank you! I care about this man a lot..

To be quite honest I believe you already answered the first question and that is will you ever be able to physically be with that person? Yes, you're going to meet him and decipher how compatible you are and go from there. That's a great start. I do feel like odds are not as much in your favor than say for people who have already been with each other and went long distance afterwards, like myself. But honestly people in your position are able to make these things work all of the time.

Now be prepared, because you will be putting in a lot of work if you decide to go further. More so than you think. I was in a long distance relationship for a year( We were about a thousand miles apart) and boy that was a ride in itself. Mind you we dated for a good year beforehand and loved eachother very much before the long distance began. And let me tell you, it's a long and arduous process. I believe that the only variable that truly matters for any LDR to work in the long run is this: there must be a point in time in the future when both of you will unite for good. And that needs to be clearly understood on both sides. Now if you believe he's worth it, then you have to decide which one of you(or both) is going to move in the future to make it last.

Sorry, I have no good stories here. I am a big believer in that the only way that a relationship can grow is by spending time together in person. Corresponding via Skype and text message and email is surface deep. The only way to see if there is a spark and a true connect is face to face, in person time and let it develop or not develope from ther

Archived