Should I ask her out on a date or just stay friends?

There is this girl at my school that for the past couple of months I have really started to take an interest in. We talk during speech practice, and before and after school. She got my e-mail from a friend so she could find out what I got her for a secret santa gift for speech. She figured out i had her when she asked me who i had and i didn't say anything. Of course i didn't tell her what it was. At the party she opened the gift and really liked the gift i got her, Van Helsing. My gift i got from someone else was kittens in a bucket. That is a inside joke that a couple people and i get. Any ways she was holding on of the kittens and i reached over and grabbed it and pulled it, we were sitting on the couch togeather. Well she didn't let go of the kitten so we got into a tug of war. I was just pulling as a joke to get it away from her. Then she put her legs on top of mine. It really surprised me that she did this. For some reason it felt right in some way. So we played tug of war with the kitten, by the way it is a fake kitten just incase anyone from PETA is on here, for almost an hour we were 2 of like 5 people still at the party at that point. Then the party was over. and we talked a little bit and then we left in separate cars. since then we have spent a lot more time talking and joking around. We have spent a lot more time talking to each other online. We spent 2 hours talking to each other online a couple nights in a row. I got some coupons for the movie theater from work so i asked her if she had seen a particular movie yet. She said no then she asked why? and i said i got the coupons and i was looking for some people to go and see it this weekend. and she thought about it for a couple of seconds. and asked if she could come. That of course was what i was hoping would happen so i have found a couple of people her best friend and one of my friends. her best friend knows i like her. but she won't say if this girls like me or not. so i don't know if i should ask her out on a official date as in just the two of us. because there will be 4 of us going to the movies as friends.

and i don't want to ruin our friendship by trying to make things more than friends because i have done that several times already

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Heh, you seem to be in a pretty good postition I'd say. This doesn't need to be such a huge deal tho, go to the movies, keep flirting, have fun, if she is flirting back and seems to be having a good time, get her number(if you dont already have it) and call her up a few days after the movie and try a date for just the two of you. Good luck