I have a friend who is married, and lives in a different part of the state than where I live. My friend moved away a few months ago and we have been emailing each other. I believe that the spouse knows nothing of the emails between us. I have thought that in the past that there was more than just friends between us, but since he is married nothing has come of it and nothing ever will, because of his statis. I guess my question is, Are we doing anything wrong? I really enjoy our exchanges and we have a lot of laughs together. I didn't think anything was wrong until one time we were at a party and his wife was also there and we didn't even talk to each other or anything. I thought maybe this was a sign that there is more there than what I thought. Wrong or right? I hope that someone can give me some advice on this, cause I really enjoy our friendship, but I don't want to ruin a marriage either.

The reason I didn't talk to him at the party was because he looked very upset(mad). It seemed to me that we both had an understanding that it would have been uncomfortable for us to be the way we are when it is just us, compared to how we act when there other people around. Yes, it is true that the way we act with each other is different when we are alone or with other people. He has a wall put up and he doesn't let a lot of people in and he is very careful about the way he acts when people are around him and they don't know how he truly is. I am the same way to a degree.