How on earth do you guys go for job interview while having a job?

So I'm thinking about searching for a new job. Actually I have been searching for a new job yesterday. This one caught my eyes. I haven't sent my resume yet because I want to research more about insurances and have a better knowledge of understanding.

I realize, once I send out a resume, if miraculously I get called for an interview, but the future employer wants to interview on the next day or next week, how do I give my current employer a notice that I need a day off? Or is it possible for the future employer to accept future interview in the next 2 weeks?

Since the current company's policy is to give a 2 week notice for a personal day off. I believe I might have to give a reason as to why.

This is TOUGH how to figure this one out that I had to google it but it seems like majority can have a personal day off the next day without giving a 2 week notice.

Heeeelp, you guys!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought that sounded hard myself. I always stockpile a bunch of money and quit without the next one lined up.. I've only lived with my parents or in a cheap student apartment, so that's not actually too hard. I know I won't be able to do that once I have a house or something, but hopefully I'll be in a job I don't WANT to leave by then. I know people who call in sick to do it but sometimes one of my old bosses found out. My sister just put them at the end of the day after work, but usually the people that were interviewing her were my Dad's friends so they were more flexible than usual about what time she came in.

You can't call in sick? Maybe go to clinic, pretend to be sick and get work note to bring the next day.

Dude, the policy is a 2 week notice.

LOL I may be able to since it's winter.

It's a tough call because I don't know once I get home it's about 5 PM. I may get an important call from a future employer who wants to schedule an interview with me. So I probably respond to that future employer by 5 PM AND the chance that the interview is the next day as in a last minute is tough to call in as a "personal sick" day.

be sick or do it during lunch or after work, or say you have to leave early for an excercise class. or on the weeekend.

I have only 30 minutes for lunch. It's definitely impossible to do that since the company is 30 minutes away without traffic. Haha, you can't schedule an interview on the weekend with an insurance company.

Maybe I'll try to leave early for work but I have to come up with a better excuse than that why I need to leave an hour early.

I always thought that sounded hard myself. I always stockpile a bunch of money and quit without the next one lined up..

You have no idea how much I want to do that right now! LOL But I need that current job to pay for my college loan and car loan, and bills.

I've only lived with my parents or in a cheap student apartment, so that's not actually too hard. I know I won't be able to do that once I have a house or something, but hopefully I'll be in a job I don't WANT to leave by then. I know people who call in sick to do it but sometimes one of my old bosses found out. My sister just put them at the end of the day after work, but usually the people that were interviewing her were my Dad's friends so they were more flexible than usual about what time she came in.

That's what I'm afraid my boss will find out. Especially if I have to give a reference to the future employer.

I am interested becoming something more than an Accounting Assistant for the company I work for. Also, I want to live in a better city than I am living now.

No idea what I'm going to do until I have enough responses and ideas.

I was asked to apply for an insurance agent once and he was open on Saturday mornings.

That's different.

I'm not applying to become an insurance agent. Insurance agents usually work from Monday to Saturday because I was asked for an interview once.

I'm applying to become an Underwritering Assistant. They work during the week. Not on the weekends.

well maybe he can make a special case to meet you for coffee or lunch on a Saturday .. Haven't you ever worked weekends? I have worked lots of weekends in my field, but yours might be strictly m-f. Just a thought, it can get stressful trying to juggle something during the week. You can also see how flexible and accomodating this guy could be in general.

well maybe he can make a special case to meet you for coffee or lunch on a Saturday .. Haven't you ever worked weekends? I have worked lots of weekends in my field, but yours might be strictly m-f. Just a thought, it can get stressful trying to juggle something during the week. You can also see how flexible and accomodating this guy could be in general.

Yeah, I worked during the weekends as a waitress.

Yeah it's a good thought but that would be Plan B.

Plan A is what I'm dealing with.

Might it be possible to go into work late, or leave early? Use the excuse of a Dr. appt.? Maybe you could be straight up with your employer and tell them you are going on an interview. That way when the call comes in for a referance you are in the clear and it's not a surprise. I guess it all depends on how big your company is and your standing in the company. Do you have a good enough relationship with anyone in management that you can be honest with? Just a thought. Good luck!

I think in a situation like that you would need to explain your situation to the prospective employer. If you are a top candidate and they are very interested in interviewing you, they will accommodate you somehow, perhaps with an early morning or evening interview. I wouldn't tell your current employer that you are interviewing. I would keep your job search private, as I've read and heard too many horror stories of employers finding out their employees were job hunting and being upset about it. It varies by employer and industry though. Some would not be upset, some would take it as an insult and a showing of a lack of loyalty.

Might it be possible to go into work late, or leave early? Use the excuse of a Dr. appt.? Maybe you could be straight up with your employer and tell them you are going on an interview.

See, that's what I thought I should do. I always told myself that integrity is important to me. I can't seem to bring myself to use not an honest excuse no matter what I do. Kind of sux that I was built that way.

That's what I thought I was going to do. Telling my Financial Controller. But something inside me not so sure how to tell her because she was the one who promoted me as an accounting assistant. But I feel it's not the career path I want to get into for the rest of my life and live in the city that I live in. I want to live in a bigger city I guess.

That way when the call comes in for a referance you are in the clear and it's not a surprise. I guess it all depends on how big your company is and your standing in the company. Do you have a good enough relationship with anyone in management that you can be honest with? Just a thought. Good luck!

I don't know if I could use my current employer as my reference. LOL Chances of them bashing how bad I am as an employee when I'm really good at what I do to the future employer?

The company I work for as 100 employees. It has a small billing and accounting department. I have a good relationship with two people in the upper management. But I know if I do decide to leave, it would be a raise before I leave.

To be honest, my passion is to be more than just an accounting assistant.

I just don't know what to do once I find out I have an interview at the last minute [as in the next day or next week with the current company's policy is to give in a 2 week notice]. So I'm pretty much screwed.

I think in a situation like that you would need to explain your situation to the prospective employer. If you are a top candidate and they are very interested in interviewing you, they will accommodate you somehow, perhaps with an early morning or evening interview.

Here's the thing. I'm not so sure how big this insurance company is in one of the cities. It may varied from different cities. This Sunday, I will take a tour what this place actually looks like. If it's a small place like a few employees, then hopefully they would be accommodating.

How should I explain to them? Today, I found out there is an authorized approval when I am clocking in and clocking out. For example, I have to come in exactly 8 AM to be approved for my time clock in. If I was late for 1 minute or 5 minutes, I be flagged as a warning. Same thing if I were to leave couple minutes early before 4:30 PM, I get flagged or work after 4:30PM and be flagged. So it's a lose-lose situation. Also I looked into the employees handbook, I have to give a 2 week notice for a personal day or whatever.

Should I say something along the lines, "Would it be alright if I make an interview at 5:15 PM or 5:30 on [whatever day it is] after my 4:30 PM work? Or am I able to schedule for an interview on Saturday instead?"

I'm not sure how to go about this.

I wouldn't tell your current employer that you are interviewing. I would keep your job search private, as I've read and heard too many horror stories of employers finding out their employees were job hunting and being upset about it. It varies by employer and industry though. Some would not be upset, some would take it as an insult and a showing of a lack of loyalty.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about you know. I mean if I talk to my Financial Controller about it she would be cool about it. But the thing is she may give me a raise and people would be on my case about leaving. LOL Yeah everyone is very close and gossipy.

It's a lose-lose situation.

I intererviewed with my ex's boss one time on a Saturday. Ofcourse, he owns the company so he can do it whenever he wants. Also insurance.

I get that.

Let's just say there is a chance that I won't be able to get an interview on a Saturday.

How do I go about about the interview on a weekday which is my work day?

When I interviewed while working, I arranged the interviews around my current job. During lunch, before or after work, on a day off, etc. The potential employers were usually understanding, they knew I had a current job. If they ask if they can call your current boss or why you're leaving your current job, just say "I love my job and I enjoy being with my coworkers, but I'm looking to get into a different field"

When I interviewed while working, I arranged the interviews around my current job. During lunch, before or after work, on a day off, etc.

Dang, everyone must have an hour lunch or something!

The potential employers were usually understanding, they knew I had a current job. If they ask if they can call your current boss or why you're leaving your current job, just say "I love my job and I enjoy being with my coworkers, but I'm looking to get into a different field"

Hahaha, good line, Natasha. I'll be sure to use that.

Did you tell your employer about it or one of the upper management?

I would tell them what your current employer's policy is. That way it will be clear to them that you are not trying to be difficult or just have a random interview time because it's convenient for you -- you're asking for it because you really cannot do an earlier time because of you're employer's policy. I think it actually shows that you are responsible and respectful of your employer's rules and I don't think your employer's policy is crazy or outlandish so prospective employers should understand that you can't take a day off on short notice and will hopefully give you a later interview time. There is a risk that they will say no, and then that's just not somewhere you will be able to interview with unfortunately. You can't put your current position in jeopardy for just the possibility of getting a new position, after all. And if the prospective employer expects you to risk your job when they are just offering you an interview -- I would think twice about wanting to work there. If they just say something like "unfortunately no we can't acommodate you" it probably means they have a bunch of other candidates who can come in for the interviews and you're not a stand-out in their eyes. As far as I see it, the only option is to ask them to work with your schedule and explain that it's your employer's policy. If that doesn't work out then you'll keep looking for places that are willing to let you interview at a time that your job allows for.

I would tell them what your current employer's policy is. That way it will be clear to them that you are not trying to be difficult or just have a random interview time because it's convenient for you -- you're asking for it because you really cannot do an earlier time because of you're employer's policy. I think it actually shows that you are responsible and respectful of your employer's rules and I don't think your employer's policy is crazy or outlandish so prospective employers should understand that you can't take a day off on short notice and will hopefully give you a later interview time.

Interesting. I never thought about like that. Hahaha! Wanna represent me lady00? LOL Just kidding ;]

There is a risk that they will say no, and then that's just not somewhere you will be able to interview with unfortunately. You can't put your current position in jeopardy for just the possibility of getting a new position, after all. And if the prospective employer expects you to risk your job when they are just offering you an interview -- I would think twice about wanting to work there.

Damn... that's very true, too.

If they just say something like "unfortunately no we can't acommodate you" it probably means they have a bunch of other candidates who can come in for the interviews and you're not a stand-out in their eyes. As far as I see it, the only option is to ask them to work with your schedule and explain that it's your employer's policy. If that doesn't work out then you'll keep looking for places that are willing to let you interview at a time that your job allows for.

Hopefully, they'll be accommodating about a Saturday interview.

Ok thanks, you've been a great help about different scenarios!

Also....last time I interviewed they knew I was employed and were fine with me going after 5pm. They were very understanding. I think the last interview with them was at 5:30 pm. I like the idea of telling them your company policy....it does show your respect for your current employer. Go get em!

Also....last time I interviewed they knew I was employed and were fine with me going after 5pm. They were very understanding. I think the last interview with them was at 5:30 pm. I like the idea of telling them your company policy....it does show your respect for your current employer. Go get em!

Oh Cat! [hugs] I love how you have stories that you can relate to people!

I'll pray that they will understand about the company's policy and the timing!

Oh Cat! [hugs] I love how you have stories that you can relate to people!

I'll pray that they will understand about the company's policy and the timing!

It was between myself and another. I didn't get the initial offer but they did contact me just a few months later with an opportunity. Just go for it....you never know. =)

It was between myself and another. I didn't get the initial offer but they did contact me just a few months later with an opportunity. Just go for it....you never know. =)

Hahaha, how is it that you optimistic people always use the line "You never know."

Very true. We'll see what happens. I'm going to create a study guide for myself for insurance to review so I know what the heck I'm talking about and edit my resume and print them at work. Then send out my resume online on Wednesday night and see what happens.

Archived