Contraception and Pregnancy - a brief FAQ

I have noticed recently that a lot of people are posting questions asking what the chances are of them being pregnant after they "fooled around" with their partner. The short answer is that no matter what precautions you take there will always be a chance of getting pregnant.

First and foremost, even if no penetration occurs you should always use a condom when you are taking part in sexual activities with a partner, it not only helps in preventing pregnancy but also helps to protect against sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

For more information about STDs look link removed

What protection should I use?

Obviously the most common form of protection or "contraception" used is a condom but there are other means that you can use both during and after sexual activities. Another method of contraception that you will probably heard of is the pill. I will explain below these two common forms of contraception, there are many more which you will be able to research by looking at medical websites or searching Google.

For more information about choosing a method of birth control look link removed (use "next" button near bottom of the page to navigate)

How effective are condoms?

The main reason that condoms sometimes fail to prevent infection or pregnancy is incorrect or inconsistent use, not the failure of the condom itself. Using oil-based lubricants can weaken the latex, causing the condom to break. Condoms can also be weakened by exposure to heat or sunlight or by age, or they can be torn by teeth or fingernails. Also, remember to check the expiry date of your condom! It is also possible for condoms to slip off during intercourse.

What is the pill?

The contraceptive pill is a method of hormonal contraception that acts on the female reproductive system to prevent pregnancy. The pill only protects against pregnancy, not STDs. There are two main types of contraceptive pill - the combined pill and the progestin only pill.

The combined pill is taken over a certain period of time (usually 21 days). This is followed by a seven days in which the pill is not taken and when a withdrawal bleed happens. After that, you can choose to start another pack and continue for as long as you want effective contraception. When this type of pill is taken on time it is almost 100% effective, if you forget to take a pill then you are advised to take it as soon as you remember, although the effectiveness will decrease

For more info on the combined pill see link removed

The progestin only pill is taken daily without a seven day break, periods do not stop when taking this sort of pill. This is a useful alternative for women who are unable to use hormonal contraception containing oestrogen, such as smokers over 35 and breastfeeding mothers. When used correctly, it can be between 98-99% effective.

For more info on the progestin only pill see link removed

Another type of pill that you may have heard of is the "morning after pill", it is actually hormonal emergency contraception. It is effective when taken up to 5 days after unprotected sex, although it is most effective when used within 72 hours.

Where can I get the pill?

Contraceptive pills can be prescribed by a doctor or bought over the counter in some drug stores; I would always suggest that you should consult a doctor to make sure that it is safe for you to take the pill.

Now that you have heard about a few different methods of contraception and their effectiveness you should be able to realise how difficult it is for us to tell if there is a chance of pregnancy. If you were "fooling around" with your partner and you believe that semen may have come into contact with the vagina or anywhere in that area then I suggest either visiting a doctor or trying a home pregnancy test to put your minds at ease or confirm your suspicions.

What if I am pregnant?

If you believe that you are pregnant then visit a doctor to get it confirmed for sure and find out where to go from there. There are many different routes that you can discuss with them and your partner.

I hope this helps some people out, please let me know what i can add or change to improve it!

abcd1234

I'm confused about the two condom thing between you two but I'm going to throw in some useful knowledge I picked up regarding that.

Using 2 condoms is actually more risky then using one. This is because the friction caused by both condoms rubbing on each other could cause them to tear or break. Also you or your partner can come out with a nasty rash type thing after using 2 condoms.

I'm confused about the two condom thing between you two but I'm going to throw in some useful knowledge I picked up regarding that.

Using 2 condoms is actually more risky then using one. This is because the friction caused by both condoms rubbing on each other could cause them to tear or break. Also you or your partner can come out with a nasty rash type thing after using 2 condoms.

Yea and they can split really easily....Use two condoms but 1 at each different time...Not at same otherwise they break

-XmF