are these signs that I got the job...?!

Allyo

Okay so I am in post-interview freak-out phase!

I had a fairly positive interview. I wouldn't say I overwhelming aced it, but I thought that it went well. I felt that two out of three people on the panel that was interviewing me were definitely on my side and liking me a lot.

Towards the end of the interview, the conservation turned a bit more informal and more casual. The main interviewer said something to the effect of "When you start, that will be your desk over there." On another occasion I was saying that I had recently moved - and of course they took up the opportunity to ask me where - to which I replied the general location. The interviewer's response was "Oh that's great - you will be even closer to us then." I think I remember hearing "when you start" on one other occasion, although I can't recall the context now...

Oh course it ended with a salary discussion and a "We'll be in touch shortly." But no indication of an offer, which I think is normal - until they get the chance to draft the offer or contemplate exactly how much they want to offer me.

Can I take these as positive signs? It would be so cruel if I didn't get the job after they said "this would be your desk"

Not to be a downer, but I wouldn't take that type of talk as a sign that you have the job. I think it's fairly common to use that type of language in interviews regardless of whether or not the person is actually going to get the job. For example, I went to an interview over the summer and they said things like, "When you start.. You'll get this type of training.." They then took me on a tour and said, "Over here would be your office ..." etc. I didn't get the job. I think typically when interviewers talk with "you wills/woulds, etc" they're talking in the hypothetical and it doesn't necessarily mean anything. I doubt even they know whether or not you'll get the job right at the interview, since part of the process for them is meeting afterwards and discussing you. They also may still have had other candidates to interview after you and so I highly doubt they were trying to communicate to you that you actually had the job.

I'm not saying that you won't get it, but reading too much into that type of language is a mistake in my opinion. The post-interview jitters stink! Good luck.

Archived